Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Laptop Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kodiak2010

kodiak2010

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

Ok, first off, I have no idea if this is the right place to put this, or if it's a good idea to even use this as a resource for work. Anyway, I'm working on a customer's Gateway NV59C26u Laptop, and their keyboard is semi-unresponsive. When certain keys are pressed, it's not the right key. I press "2" and its a ? mark. Most other keys are completely un-responsive, and after a few key presses, it goes into a loop and just keeps pressing the same key. I plugged in a USB keyboard to it and it does the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem?
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

They didn't happen to spill something on it did they? I saw the same behavior when a glass of wine took out my wireless keyboard. Does it exhibit the same behavior on another profile? If so, try pressing F8 before Windows starts and select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", does the same thing happen here as well? This will help narrow it down between a hardware/software issue, I'd try both with the normal keyboard and USB as well.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 shout

shout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:23 PM

Hi there

It definately sounds like something has been spilt into the keyboard membrane. There are two things you could try

1: pop out the keyboard which is very simple and does not normally require a full strip down couple of screws really and clean the ribbon.
2: replace the keyboard normally about fifteen pounds from that well known auctioning site.

If there is still a problem after that you may need to strip computer down to reset bios.

#4 kodiak2010

kodiak2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

There was nothing spilled on the keyboard. We ended up ordering a warranty replacement from gateway and it works great.
Posted Image

#5 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

Warranty is always a good option! I'm glad it's working for you now, but I was curious if you had any of the same issues if you loaded safe mode with the command prompt. Did you have a chance to try it?
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users