Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clearcloud service ending

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:21 PM

I've used the Clearcloud DNS server for awhile ( set on the router to protect all machines ), but I see it's being discontinued as of Sept. 1. Here's the message from them - - -

Effective September 1, 2011, GFI's ClearCloud DNS service will be discontinued and no longer available for consumer use. While we have many loyal ClearCloud DNS users, we have found that most customers prefer the more robust web filtering solution available as a feature in our VIPRE Premium product. We would like to thank all of the beta testers for their valuable feedback throughout this last 12 month evaluation period. To discontinue using the ClearCloud DNS service, you will need to reconfigure your network connection. If this is not done prior to September 1, 2011, your Internet connectivity will be interrupted. Learn how to remove ClearCloud DNS from your computer by clicking here.

I'm not sure exactly what VIPRE is, but it appears to be an anti-virus program? I use Avast on my Windows machines.

I've heard of Open DNS, but never tried it - would it be a good replacement, or is there a better one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:27 PM

You could also try: DynDNS.com Internet Guide Seems to be quite configurable which many seem to prefer over Open DNS's limitations.

I have never used Clearcloud DNS or Open DNS so I can't comment on 'which is better.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:51 AM

Thanks Animal, that does sound like a very good one. I'll try it out and see how it works for me.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

You're quite welcome.:thumbup2: Please let us know how your testing turns out.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

I certainly will.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

Thank You.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

Alrighty, I'm back with a report on how DynDNS is working out for me. It looks like it has everything for home/business applications - honestly, a lot of the stuff there is way over my head. So I signed up for the free account and it seems to have everything I could want for my home system. I've been playing around with all the customizations and it's working out just awesome for me. If I should run across any cons using it I'll post them back here.

I rounded up a few "bad" sites to test with, and it blocks them all. I did use my Linux machine to test those. Thank you very much for the information about DynDNS Animal!

Here's a few screenshots of the tabs I have available to use for customization in the free version -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:12 AM

Thank you for sharing your analysis. I'm sure other members looking for a similar solution will find it worthwhile. Glad Bleeping Computer was able to assist. Happy Computing.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users