Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google redirect and pop-ups

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 arredoagnaz

arredoagnaz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

Hey everyone, I have an issue with my computer that I've been struggling to fix for a while now. I have a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop running Windows XP Professional SP3. I use Firefox 4 to browse the internet. I have two problems which I think are closely related. First, sometimes when I search something on Google, and then click on one of the search results, a new tab opens up in my current browser window and takes me to some random website, usually advertising local listings. I often see the phrase "google-analytics" in the URL of the site to which I get redirected. Second, when I am browsing certain sites (for example, cracked.com, a perfectly legitimate website), I frequently get popups in the form of new browser windows opening up on top of my current one. This usually happens when I click on a link, and sometimes the first time I click my mouse anywhere on a newly opened page. Both of these things are abnormal, since I have gone long periods in the past without having to deal with them.

The problem didn't appear until I moved back in with my parents after my college graduation a few weeks ago, and started using their wireless network. Apparently, the other computers on my family's network have been having this problem since before I came back, and my dad thinks it might be an infection of the network itself. I don't know if his theory is correct, or if it even makes sense.

I normally run the free trial version of either AVG or avast! on my laptop. When the 30 day trial of one program ends, I uninstall it and install the trial version of the other one. Alternating back and forth between the two has worked pretty well for my internet security for about a year and a half now. I'm currently running AVG, and its scans aren't finding anything. I also have the free version of Malwarebytes as a passive anti-malware program. Malwarebytes doesn't yield anything either. Finally, I have Kaspersky's TDSS Killer program, which helped me solve a similar problem at one point in the past. It also doesn't find anything, although I have the most recent update.

That's my situation. If anybody needs any more clarification, please let me know and I'll provide any information that I can. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can give me into this problem. Also, as a bonus, I was wondering if anyone has any favorites as far as internet security programs. Let me know what you think, and thanks again.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:48 PM

Can you post the logs from Malwarebytes and TDSSKiller?

#3 arredoagnaz

arredoagnaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

Log from TDSS Killer
----------------------------
Duration: 00:00:13
Processed: 202 objects,
Infection: not found
--------------------------------

There is a box for text beneath this information that is completely empty.

Here is the log from my most recent MalwareBytes scan.
--------------------------------------------
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.0.1200
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6705

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

6/9/2011 4:25:10 AM
mbam-log-2011-06-09 (04-25-10).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 297774
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 58 minute(s), 32 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
----------------------------------------

It should also be worth noting that my MalwareBytes database is 19 days out of date, and refuses to update itself. Whenever I try to get an update, I get the following error message.
------------------------------------------------------
An error has occurred. Please report his error code to our support team.

PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING (11001, 0, Host not found)

No such host is known
----------------------------------------------------------

I have tried reinstalling MalwareBytes, as well as updating it with my firewall and antivirus turned off, but the error remains.

Finally, I am no longer using AVG as my anti-virus. I know have Comodo Firewall and Avira AntiVir Personal Free Antivirus. Neither of those have found anything either.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

these are the latest rules for mbam: http://www.cryptodan.net/files/mbam-rules.exe

#5 arredoagnaz

arredoagnaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:28 PM

For some reason, the update didn't work. I saved the file, ran the executable, and went through the MalwareBytes set-up wizard smoothly. When I re-opened MalwareBytes, however, it still said that it's using database version 6705, dated 5/28/2011, same as what I was working with before. It now tells me that my database is 42 days out of date, instead of just 19, which doesn't make much sense. I restarted my computer, and re-tried the process a few times, with no results. Let me know what you think about that.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

#7 arredoagnaz

arredoagnaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but it seems that we solved our problem by re-setting the router (or something), and switching to a new network encryption method. We then quarantined each computer and cleaned it out using Norton Power Eraser. Thanks for your help, but it looks like this ordeal is over. :D

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

So you now able to update Mbam, and everything is kosher?

#9 arredoagnaz

arredoagnaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:40 PM

Yup, MBAM updates without any problems, and I no longer have any issues with redirects and pop-ups. I'm now running Comodo firewall and Avira AntiVir and my family network is encrypted with a 64-digit hexadecimal password, so hopefully that will provide a good level of security. Thanks again for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users