Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU throttled to 10% or 30%

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

I've recently reinstalled XP Home on a Dell D610.

After windows was installed the machine was running very slow. I checked system properties and the 2.13 GHz was running at 294 MHz. I changed power options to Presentation and Always on, but saw no change in the speed of the CPU.

My next step was turning off the Intel Speedstep in the BIOS. Once I booted back into windows the CPU was running at 798 and 799 MHz.

I've also tried three other CPUs and they all do the exact same thing.

I flashed the BIOS and the problem persists after setting BIOS back to default settings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

I found this article on Intel SpeedStep and Windows XP, and toward the bottom they describe using POWERCFG.EXE to make advanced changes to processor performance mode:

Advanced
There is a command line tool that lets you find out (and even alter) the performance mode of your CPU(s) as related to each power scheme. POWERCFG.EXE allows you to look up specific power scheme settings and change them from the command line.

Hopefully this info will help you find out more about the power states and why the processor is throttled. Some easy questions to get out of the way: Is XP Home updated to SP3? Is Intel SpeedStep still enabled in the BIOS? When you say you've tried three other CPUs, are you removing and installing them on the same motherboard?
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

I wish I could say XP is updated, but I'm only working with SP1 at the moment. SP2 would take almost 4 hours to download on this connection.

When Intel SpeedStep is enabled the CPU is throttled to 10%. If it is disabled the CPU runs around 30%. And the 3 other CPUs were used on the same motherboard. If the command line interface doesn't help I'm going to assume it's a motherboard issue unless there are some other things somebody can think to check.

#4 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

If the command line interface doesn't help I'm going to assume it's a motherboard issue unless there are some other things somebody can think to check.

Do you have access to a different connection to download the service packs? I think it's a long shot but it wouldn't be a bad variable to eliminate, otherwise I would think it's a motherboard issue as well. I have not run into this before though, so hopefully someone from the community will be able to shed some light!
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#5 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

Apparently the powercfg.exe is not included in SP1 so I'm going to look into some of the other programs listed in the article used to throttle the CPU and see what I can come up with. I'll post the results once I know what they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users