Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Byte

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

This has been going on for about 2 weeks now.

The only thing that happens is that I hear a sound like a bubble popping. It's not very loud. I stream music most of the day. Since the sound is not very loud, I wasn't sure at first if I was really hearing it. I know that I'm hearing it now.

What I've done
I've checked all the sound settings for Windows and all other programs installed on my computer. The only sound I have enabled is the sound I hear after I log into Windows.

Until a few days ago, I was using a trial version of Avast. Avast never found anything. Superanti Spyware continually failed to remove 2 files, even when I ran RKill. (I did leave the RKill window open while I ran Super Anti Spyware. I also used Malware Bytes. It found no malicious spyware.

A couple of days ago, I switched back to Kasperski Internet Security. I'd been using it for 2 years with absolutely no problems with malware, so I went back to it.

After re-installing Kasperski, a lot of malicious software was found and disinfected. Avast and SuperAnti Spyware missed them all.

I have run Kasperski's systems vulnerability scan. The only thing recommended to be fixed was some settings with IE, which I never use. I ran the fix for that and I went into IE's options and disabled most of the options.

I have for about 5 days now, downloaded the latest version of and run RKill. For the last 3 days, the only thing it has stopped since re-installing Kasp is an updater for my SansaClip music player.

Last night, Super Anti Spyware was finally able to remove the 2 files that it previously had not being to remove. ( I have a screen shot of the files).

After all of that, I'm still hearing the bubble popping sound.

Just in case this is helpful:

I stream music most of the day. I'm using the latest version of Firefox. I can post the link to the station I listen to, if would be at all helpful.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

Today, I shut my computer down. I got a message that 15 updates were being applied.

When I started it back up again, I got a message that 11,882 updates were being applied (Yes, that is a six digit number). Then a message, "Preparing to configure Windows" and then that it was complete.

Not so unusual to have 15 windows updates on shut down. But I don't recall updates being applied after start up and I definitely think that 11,882 updates is a bit unusual.

I'm still hearing the sound byte. It seems to always be when I'm streaming music, no matter what station I'm listening to.

Please help.
-Henry Ford

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:58 PM

Can you post the logs from Superanti-Spyware and Malwarebytes?

#4 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

Malware Bytes never found anything, so I don't have anything to show you from that.

I checked "Installed Updates" in the control panel. There were an unusual amount of Office updates and a few for Windows.

For what it's worth.........In case it's helpful.

I don't use IE, so I've never installed the updates for it. I recently asked in another thread if I should update it because of possible program vulnerabilities and security issues. I was told I should do that. I use to just let Windows update everything automatically, but I recently changed the settings to install when I choose to do so. I did this so I could avoid installing updates for IE and Windows Defender, which I also don't use. Other than updates for those 2 programs, all others were installed.

I realized recently that some of my desktop apps use IE by default. I uninstalled some of them because of this. Just saying I know that IE has been used without some of the updates.

Super Anti Spyware log

I had to retype this in notepad because I couldn't copy and paste from the quarantined items window. I DO have ADD, but I've checked it several times to make sure I copied everything just as it is in the log, capitalized or not. :)

Trojan.Agent/Gen-IExplorer[Fake}
C:\USERS\SHERRI\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\RARSFX10\NIRD\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\USERS\SHERRI\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\RARSFX9\NIRD\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Windows\Prefetch\IEXPLORE.EXE-587387C1.pf

Trojan.Agent/Gen-PEC
C:\USERS\SHERRI\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\RARSFX10\PROCS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\USERS\SHERRI\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\RARSFX9\PROCS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\Windows\Prefetch\EXPLORER.EXE-7D8E978.pf
-Henry Ford

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:12 PM

It is best to allow windows update to update everything on your computer expect for hardware.

Can you please try copying and pasting the requested items if you are unable to do so, then upload them to http://www.rapidshare.com

#6 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

There is only a log from SUPERAntiSpyware

Quarantined Items

I had to save it as a JPeg since it was a screen shot image. I can't copy and paste from Word. If the image isn't big enough, I could email the word doc to the address you have in your signature.

Edited by Booh-kitty, 17 June 2011 - 02:38 PM.

-Henry Ford

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users