Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msiexec.exe problem in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mermaid1966

mermaid1966

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

This is, I believe, at worst a minor nuisance, but I'd really like to resolve it, because that's the way I am:)
So here goes: EVERY time I boot into my PC (WINDOWS XP Media Center 2002 Service Pack 2) the msiexec.exe process shows up in TASK MANAGER, but consumes no CPU time. I CAN manually kill it and it stays away.
But I'm getting sick of manually killing it every boot, and I don't believe it should be there.
So I searched the entire registry for MSIEXEC.EXE to see if there were any instances of it in a startup location, but there are not. It seems to be some sort of unintended leftover of an install or uninstall gone bad.
Anyone know how I can get rid of it without adversely impacting any future installations that will require it?
I ran malwarebytes full scan and am clean and also recently completed a full combofix, also clean.
I don't think it's malware - but who knows...
Many thanks.
"Beauty fades; dumb is forever." - JUDGE JUDY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

msiexec.exe belongs to the Windows Installer Component and is used to install new programs that use Windows Installer package files (MSI). This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

Check the service "Windows Installer"; it should be set to Manual, (I think), open to correction.

#4 lobita

lobita

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

That's kind of humorous...You can't get yours to stop, but I wish I could get mine to start!
Help me Obi1Kenobi. You're my only hope!

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

Is it disabled in the Windows Installer service?

#6 mermaid1966

mermaid1966
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

TADA! I figured it out, not sure why, but I had to go into SERVICES (START - CONTROL PANEL - ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS - SERVICES) and change the Startup option for Windows Installer to MANUAL (it was on automatic).
That seems to have done the trick for now. Feel free to close this issue, thanks.

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:52 AM

Did I not suggest that in Post #3 ? :lol:

#8 mermaid1966

mermaid1966
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

yes you are the man - thank you!
seemed too easy to me or i might have tried that sooner:)

#9 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:09 AM

Now all we need is for lobita to get started! :)

#10 mermaid1966

mermaid1966
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

LOL - thats why i replied with the steps to get into ADMIN TOOLS - i realize this comes as a revelation to many, but that is a part of WINDOWS normal users know NOTHING about.
You have to admire how utterly non-intuitive XP can be at times, and yet still dominate the operating system market in its day. The height of counter-intuitiveness, for example, that when you want to shut the PC down the first step is to click on START.

#11 lobita

lobita

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

I'm into my services settings so much the icon is always on my start menu! I just did a dialafix for another issue I'm working on. I've changed my settings so many times, I don't remember what the defaults are. By the way, is there somewhere I can find common services default settings for Windows XP? I found some sites, but they seemed to either advise starting EVERYTHING or NOTHING. Is there no happy medium? Anyways, this morning I tried to dowlnoad Avast and Windows Defender,but received error 0x80248002 . After reading the recent posts here, I decided to check my services settings again. It was set to manual, so I changed it to automatic and chose start again. It worked finally. I'm going to try some updates and other simple things to see if it still works. Thanks for your ideas! :busy:

#12 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

he height of counter-intuitiveness, for example, that when you want to shut the PC down the first step is to click on START.

:) :) :) LOL :) :)

#13 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

black viper has a default listing of the services.
black viper
ps, i have to turn my installer on before something starts installing. i thought
that even on 'manual', the program would try to turn the installer service on, without
me having to intervene? (assuming that 'auto' just loads the installer into memory?)

#14 lobita

lobita

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the link. I really need it now because I ended up doing a factory reset so I'm starting from scratch. :scratchhead: Literally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users