Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 & 2003 Server Standard SP2 Unable to remotely install driver on print server

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 McGrubber

McGrubber

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:20 AM

I have a print server running 2003 standard sp2, I have been looking for a way to allow helpdesk staff install and manage printers without logging into the server and without adding them to the admin group.

So I added them to the power users group and the print operators group, that worked fine they were able to UNC ( \\servername ) to the server and install printers, drivers, as well as uninstall drivers’ printers ect………….

Now the problem……… this works great from an XP box, but when we try it from a windows 7 machine we get access denied. More specifically it acts like it is going to install the printer then when it comes to the driver installation part it fails “Printer driver was not installed. Access is denied.”

No changes have been made to the permissions I can log into an XP machine with my profile and it works fine log out go to a Windows 7 machine use the same credentials and I get the above message access is denied. I am an admin of both machines on the windows 7 machine I have UAC turned off completely. Running XP Pro SP3 & Windows 7 pro both are 32 bit machines.

I should also add that I have made the necessary group policy changes to allow printer operators to Load/Unload device drivers and under the local policies/security options I ensured that the Prevent users from installing printer drivers was Disabled.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by McGrubber, 13 June 2011 - 09:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

How do you enter the credentials on the Windows 7 machine? I've noticed that you have to use "domain\username" rather than just the username in some cases.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 McGrubber

McGrubber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the reply!

I logged into the domain from both mahcines Windows 7 & XP, which wouldn't matter anyway becuase the permissions are set to allow authenticated users. So even if I had only logged onto the mahcine locally it would prompt me for my credintials when I access the server from the UNC share name.

#4 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

I found this artcile from MS describing the same issue with power users vs admin, and they recommend updating the Point and Print policies that started with Windows Vista.

configure the point and print restrictions policy. Windows 7 reads from only the Computer configuration for this policy. That said I've never seen this fail with access denied unless a driver package is getting added which should not be happening when the server is 2003. The client should be able to dir \\Server2003\print$ and see the directory structure there. If the client is getting access denied using dir, then this is the cause for this error and you will need to correct the server so the clients have access to get the print drivers.

Also, what are the permissions on the print$ share/directory?
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users