Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hpdv9000 SMART drive warning immenent failure, laptop now won't boot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:45 AM

I'm running xp on hp dv 9000 laptop, core 2 duo chip.
I went to reboot and upon rebooting gave me error that SMART drive detected hard drive failure on my drive 2. Had this laptop 2 years without a problem and was working perfectly well a few minutes ago.
The error message also said I should back up my data and replace drive. Hit f1 to continue.
When I hit f1 nothing happens.
I looked at the problem online and couldn't find a solution.

I tried to go into bios to disable SMART monitor but hp has it enabled fulltime by default, can't disable.

I then tried to boot to the computer via cd rom as I have a spinrite disk but damn thing won't boot to cd rom even though i've made it first in the boot sequence. keeps giving me the same error and asks me to hit f1.

Then I removed the hard disk......still get the same problem even with my disk 2 removed.
I'm out of options. Anyone got a clue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:08 AM

Do you know what the manufacturer of the hard drive is? Also what is the full model of your laptop?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

Hi Killerx525. Thanks for replying.
I cannot find exact model but found old email when I bought it, HP LAPTOP 17" 2.0GHz 4GB 500GB nVIDIA BLU-RAY TV TUNER. Went to HP website but looks like models
Although it doesn't have 500gb single drive, it has 2 x 250gb Hitachi drives.
model is hts542525k9sa00-(s1)
Strange thing is that I pulled out drive 1 and it then booted to my cd rom, let me run spinrite on drive 2.
Didn't get any problems. so put drive 1 back in and got the error again that drive 2 about to fail.

I swapped disk drives over and then it said drive 4 about to fail.
I have a feeling it means my boot drive is the problem ie drive 1 which it labels as drive 2.

So error now states:
--------------------
SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 4: Hitachi HTS542525K9SA00-(S3)
WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.
Press F1 to Continue.
--------------------
Obviously pushing F1 does nothing.

Next I tried booting via usb. I've got an external hard drive which I swapped the drive with my supposedly faulty one, and first I plugged into my desktop computer to make sure the files could be accessed. Didn't seem to be a problem as I could read all the info fine and access files/folders.

So I plugged the drive into usb port and tried booting the laptop but it got half way through and BSOD reared it's ugly head (even in safe mode.) I actually saw the windows logo though!!!!!

Looks like my solution will be to buy another drive, clone it and hope it works. First of all I'm running a chkdsk on it to see what happens.
Let you know when it finishes.
Rgds
Mike.T

#4 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

Went to HP website but looks like models.........
sorry meant to say looks like model specs are no longer listed.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

FWIW: If I received a SMART warning, I'd assume that the drive is going...and run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, after moving any valued data files to another drive or other media.

Louis

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:15 AM

Time for you to purchase a new hard drive.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

chkdsk gave no errors.
I'm guessing must be internal hardware fault on the drive.
oh well, I'm going to have to go down to the shop to buy a new one.

#8 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:40 AM

Hi everyone. Thought i'd be out of your hair by now.
I decided that since I had a 320gb samsung laptop drive in a usb external enclosure to save time and money I would use it as my new laptop drive and clone my old drive on to it.

Using Acronis True Image Home 2010 I made a full disk backup of my 250gb disk that was giving me the problems.
I wiped my 320gb disk (after saving the data to another internal hard drive on my pc) and restored the back up I had just created of the 250gb to it.
Heres where things stopped going smoothly. I got an error from Acronis at the end of the restore so I started all over again, and nearly immediately it said the operation was successful.

But get this - now my 320gb disk is lost to the world. It doesn't show up in My Computer / it doesn't show up in Disk Management / it don't show up anywhere!

I plugged back in my 250gb (with the original SMART warning problem) and I can access everything fine so I know my external usb enclosure is working ok.
When I plug in my 320gb i can hear it clicking and whirring for about 5 minutes then goes silent.
I can't find it on the system to reformat it or try again.
This should have been a simple task and now I'm stuffed. I'm shaking my head in pure frustration.........

#9 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

Sorry i lied in my last post, my drive does appear. it appears in the "safely remove hardware" section in my task bar.
Thats the only place where I can find any reference to it.
So I can select to safely remove a "generic usb device" but it doesn't say it's a mass storage device.
More info, when you plug it in the led goes red and it whirrs and clicks for a good 5 minutes, then eventually it stops making noises and the light goes green.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:30 AM

my 320gb disk is lost to the world. It doesn't show up in My Computer / it doesn't show up in Disk Management / it don't show up anywhere!

Does it show up in Acronis (which I presume you are using from within the Windows installation on your desktop PC ... correct? ... rather than from a bootable CD?)?

Edited by AustrAlien, 17 June 2011 - 07:36 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:47 AM

You are correct in your assumption Acronis is on my desktop PC and I am accessing via windows xp.
And no, it doesn't show up in Acronis.
If it showed up in Acronis I would try the process all over again.

I booted my laptop using spinrite but it just kept searching for the drive and never found it.

Odd that using acronis to restore a backed up file system should cause the hard drive to malfunction.

#12 Zacbelle1

Zacbelle1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:43 AM

Hi All just letting you know I got another hard drive and restored my acronis back up to it and this time it seems to have worked.
Thanks to those who tried to help.

I've somehow killed two hard drives now though and was a bit of a pain being without my laptop for all that time.

Never did get my other hard drive to work or at least be recognised. The drive with the original problem (smart warning) seems to always work fine as an external but never as an internal.
Won't be saving anything valuable on it though, maybe keep it as a storage for my downloaded bittorrent movies or something.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

One way to kill a laptop hard drive is to squeeze it by the top and bottom rather than the sides when handling it.
Another way is through impact. Putting it down hard not gentle or dropping it.

I once ruined a new OEM hard drive that I was taking home from work to use by accidentally banging against the door frame on the way out of work.

Another way is static electricity.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users