Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did my motherboard die?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sega Dude

Sega Dude

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:11 AM

Yesterday, I was playing AOE 3 and the video started to get really scrambled. The game closed itself a few mins later and it was still scrambled at the desktop. The Windows 7 task bar really discolored too. I preformed a restart and it was still scrambled on the shutdown screen. When it restarted it started like normal. It said Windows is loading files. Then it restarted itself again. Again it started normal. Then it said something about the file seeming to be corrupt and the checksum wasn't the same as the computed checksum. I preformed a hard reboot then noting happens. The power light comes on but there is nothing on the display. No beeps ethiter. I did get it to boot once and it got to the start up repair screen. I selected start windows normally but after a few seconds it restarted itself. Then it did nothing again. What happened? Did the gpu burn out or did the motherboard die?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

You can test this out as next, when you have an integrated gpu:

Take care that in the Bios menu, the gpu setting is on the integrated setting.
Close your computer and after this, remove your gpu card.
Than start you the computer with the integrated gpu.
When the computer works fine, than do you know that it is not the Motherboard, but your external gpu.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:09 AM

It could be the graphics card overheating if there is one.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

You can test this out as next, when you have an integrated gpu:

Take care that in the Bios menu, the gpu setting is on the integrated setting.
Close your computer and after this, remove your gpu card.
Than start you the computer with the integrated gpu.
When the computer works fine, than do you know that it is not the Motherboard, but your external gpu.

It could be the graphics card overheating if there is one.

I don't have a graphics card, I used the intergraded 9200 graphics. Toady after resting for over 12 hours it booted up fine. It worked fine for about 20 mins. Then video started to get scrambled (not nearly as bad as yesterday) and about 30 secs later it blue screened with this error: "A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated" when it rebooted I chose start windows normally then after the welcome screen the screen went black and about 20 secs later I get another blue screen with this error: apc_index_mismatch. After it restarted it was back to doing nothing. Also, the computer automatically turns on when I turn on the power strip of that has anything to do with it. It never has before.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

Are we dealing with a laptop (9200m) or a desktop (9200)?

Desktop- verify the heatsink on the northbridge is clean. If it has a fan, verify it works. GPU-Z should tell you the temp (not sure on that particular GPU) Download link at bottom of page- http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ While you have the cover off, check all of your capacitors for bulges. Use a DVOM and check the 12V on a spare molex (4 pin connector, yellow to black) while the system misbehaves.

Lappy- 9200M might be lumped in with the defective NVidia GPUs (mostly 7XXX and 8XXX) I know some of the 9XXX series were defective, but not the specific chips. Also verify the chips temp as well. Hook the lappy up to an external monitor or TV to see if they also screw up. If the laptop screen is messed up, while the TV/monitor is OK, you have a bad internal connection somewhere.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

Are we dealing with a laptop (9200m) or a desktop (9200)?

Desktop- verify the heatsink on the northbridge is clean. If it has a fan, verify it works. GPU-Z should tell you the temp (not sure on that particular GPU) Download link at bottom of page- http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ While you have the cover off, check all of your capacitors for bulges. Use a DVOM and check the 12V on a spare molex (4 pin connector, yellow to black) while the system misbehaves.

Lappy- 9200M might be lumped in with the defective NVidia GPUs (mostly 7XXX and 8XXX) I know some of the 9XXX series were defective, but not the specific chips. Also verify the chips temp as well. Hook the lappy up to an external monitor or TV to see if they also screw up. If the laptop screen is messed up, while the TV/monitor is OK, you have a bad internal connection somewhere.

Its a desktop. I saw no bulges. The GPU keeps getting progressively hotter for no reason. Its just idling at the desktop. It started at 60.0 C and it peaked at 76.0 C.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

Anytime I start seeing anything on the screen scrambled, or oddball colors, my suspicion is the GPU (or sometimes the connector if it is VGA). 76C is high for idle, 85C is upper limit for normal use in games, 100C is the limit before damage occurs.

Did you check your voltages?

I don't know how much effort you want to put into salvaging this motherboard if it is faulty. Easiest solution is grabbing another videocard (assuming you have an open slot) and going that route. You might pull off the northbridge heatsink, clean off the thermal compound/pad and reapply some quality thermal compound and see if there is any difference. You usually have to pull the motherboartd out of the case to get the clips off the sink though.

The "Bumpgate" fiasco. http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/11/why-nvidias-chips-are-defective/ Many enthusiasts bake/use a heat gun to reflow the solder bumps on the GPU which crack on some models of NVidia GPUs. I feel better about baking a videocard rather than a motherboard usually.

Edited by dpunisher, 14 June 2011 - 09:11 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

I think it is virus related. It seems to happen whenever I'm doing anything related to running virus software the screen scrambles and the computer throws a random blue screen. It happened shortly after I ran spybot and while I was updating malewarebytes and avg. It wont boot into safe mode, it just restarts itself after it loads files. Im probably gonna have to do a recovery again. However this doesn't explain why the gpu gets hotter and why it turns on as soon as the power strip is turned on. It don't own a DVOM nor do I know how to use one so I didn't check the voltages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users