Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maxtor External Hard Drive problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sandym15

sandym15

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

I am having problems with the external HD on my PC.
Yesterday I pulled out the cable from it to the PC by mistake. When I re-started the PC a black screen came up with a message saying that NTFS (I think) wasn't working and it needed to scan or check for something. I glanced through the message briefly and it was on a countdown unless I tapped any key on the keyboard. I reached to do this too late and a speedy roll of delete something or other continuously scrolled up. I ended up turning off the PC manually to stop this.
I haven't a clue what it is or what it did, but the PC is now crawling along. The external hard-drive is showing empty, but I can access all the files on it. The problem is that the files are not happy being moved, copied or attached to emails. When I go to the image files they will not show icons without contacting administrator. All sorts of other stuff has probably happened that I don't know about.
IE is at a snail's pace and then seizes and 'not responding'.
Help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:49 AM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Go to My Computer, select the drive, right-click on it, select Properties.

Follow the instructions under Starting Check Disk at http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html , putting check marks in both options.

Louis

#3 sandym15

sandym15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hi Louis
thank you for your prompt response. I have already tried that and it is still showing only 10mb of external hard disc usage when in fact I know it is about ten times that. The files all seem to be there, but many of them I can't open.
I did make a backup onto D drive and when I go into that the files are all there but again it is quite a fiddle to open them - but I can eventually open the jpeg images.
I did come across something called Blue Screen???? when searching through trying to fix things. does that ring any alarm bells??
Many thanks
Sandy

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:39 AM

Please...post the exact detail of any onscreen error messages you receive...when trying to use this external drive.

Louis

#5 sandym15

sandym15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

Hi Louis
Well, I have now found out that if I go into one of the folders on the external hard drive and try to open an image it just comes up blank - however, if I right click, copy and then paste it (into the self-same folder) it makes a copy and I can open the copy. Seems really weird.
As I right click in the folder to paste, a box comes up with headline 'DESTINATION FOLDER ACCESS DENIED'
In the body of the box it reads 'You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this file'
There's a yellow triangle with a question mark, a box with jpeg written in it and a description of the file.
At the bottom of the box it has 3 buttons, Continue/Skip/Cancel
I press Continue.
~Then another box comes up 'USER ACCOUNT CONTROL'
Body of text reads 'Windows needs your permission to continue'
Then says 'File Operation, Microsoft Windows (3AD05575-8857-4850-9277-11B85BDB8E09)
It copies the image below the original and hey presto I can open it.
I keep having to provide administrator permission which is really doing my head in. I'm the only one to use the PC!!
Sorry to be so naieve
thanks and regards
Sandy

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

Sounds like you may need to take ownership of the folders/files in question...at least, I would try that.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users