Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tally2425

tally2425

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:13 AM

Last friday everything was fine, Come back monday to find out that my other computer will not boot up at all it powers up all fans spin and motherboard light is on, Comes up with my graphics card settings then they go off then its just a black screen nothing else happens.

What do you think i should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:42 AM

Hi tally2425

Could you provide some more information please. What is your system make,model,motherboard,Operating system etc. Do not worry about information overload.

Also is it possible to maybe try and describe the actual fault in a bit more detail regarding the message on the screen.

Finaly have you or anyone else installed any new hardware or software lately, and have you carried out any steps to date to try and rectify the problem.

jodav.

#3 tally2425

tally2425
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:49 AM

Well i cant actually get onto the computer so i cant tell you much about it (i no that doesnt help)

There has been no new hardware installed for around 1 year now, I have unplugged the powersupply to the motherboard thats the only thing i have tried

#4 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:11 AM

All I can do with no information is give you some basic checks to try tally2425. Only try one check at a time, you need to try and eliminate as much as possible.

Dab the F8 button when computer is trying to boot up, and see if it will show the start up option safe mode, if so see if the PC will boot into safe mode.

If it is a desktop (your previous post suggests so),disconnect any internal or external hardware not required to boot (printers, external USB devices, sound cards, extra hard drives etc etc), leave just one stick of memory in and try again.

If you have an agp\pci video card installed and the motherboard has a built in card, remove the agp\pci card and connect monitor to the on board video and try again.

If you have a video card installed and no on board video, try and borrow another card of someone to try out.

Try and reset the BIOS by going into the BIOS and doing it there, or removing power cord from the PC, and flipping the battery for 20 seconds or so an replacing.

Put a bootable CD\DVD in the drive and see if the PC will boot up to it (any bootable disc)

#5 tally2425

tally2425
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:09 AM

Doesnt get to the F8 stage just a black screen, I do have a spare graphics card out of another computer will that work with it?

#6 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:23 AM

If you have a graphics card that is the same form factor (AGP, PCI etc)that fits your PC then it is agood thing to try it. If it does work then you may have to install a driver for it to improve the graphics further, but that can be done depending on the result. It all depends on what the cause of the problem is really, its all about elimination.

So far it is looking like a hardware problem, but it is well worth taking your time and going through each step.

#7 tally2425

tally2425
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:29 AM

I have a spare graphics card and a hard drive, If i plug them in they wont cause more problems will they?

#8 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:32 AM

No, they will be fine as long as the card fits and you do not bash it in with a hammer lol. I would just try the card at this stage.

#9 tally2425

tally2425
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:29 AM

thats ok finally got it working i took the hard drive out and put it in another computer so it must be the motherbaord that is bust, also what about ram i have 2 512mb stick lying about can i shove them in aswell?

#10 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

Hi tally2425,

You can put them in if they are the same form factor and you have available slots, there are different types of ram, from PC100 to DDR4 etc. It should say on the sticks what type it is normaly, but if it does not have type stated on the sticks it will simply not fit if it is different type. So if it fits in the slot it is OK. Also there at are different speeds 100Mhz 133Mhz and so on, If you put sticks of different speeds in, your system will run to the slowest one. Also if the motherboard does not support the specific type\speed etc of the RAM you put in, it simply will not boot up, but will cause no damage at all, so will just need removing.

It may or may not have been the board that was the problem, I am not sure as your information was very cloudy tally2425 :) but if you are now content thats the main thing buddy.

jodav.

#11 tally2425

tally2425
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:27 AM

Thanks mate!, Wel it was actually the graphics card!, i put the graphics card in the new computer and it just had the same black screen, So i need a new graphics card as the onboard one is bust aswell ha, So am i ok to try these stick and if it doesnt boot i can pull them out? and it will work fine its not going to blow my computer is it ha?

#12 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

Now that is much better tally2425, problem is now identified, well done buddy :thumbsup: (would be worth restoring the defaults of the BIOS maybe just in case the on board is disabled). Cards are not that expensive now unless you are a gamer ofcourse.

No you will not blow your computer up tally2425.

Take Care,
jodav.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users