Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RKill question:

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 redzer0x

redzer0x

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:11 AM

I just stabilized my pc after being infected with a w32/blaster worm and when I run rkill before I run my antivirus/spyware/malware scanners for another round r kill terminated this process.

\\?\C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WMIADAP.EXE

I read online that its a necessary file which prevented me from manually deleting it myself, should I be concerned?

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:28 AM

So you just wanting to make sure that your computer cleaned from the previous infection?

#3 redzer0x

redzer0x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

Yea, actually running my 3rd scan cleaned everything up it found a riskware bug left over from the blaster worm. You can never be too safe right!? Now Rkill picks up nothing, now I can relax =) Man I love this website.

Edited by redzer0x, 13 June 2011 - 09:39 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

Worth reading, IMO: RKill - What It Does and Doesn't Do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Louis

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:41 AM

Now Rkill picks up nothing

After it runs RKill will create a log of what was terminated while it was running. All files listed in an RKill log are not necessarily malware related...it may show legitimate as well as malicious processes. The list of processes shown as terminated are any processes that were killed while RKill was running even if those processes were not terminated directly by RKill. This means that if someone manually shuts a program down it will show up in the log but that does not mean it was killed by RKill. Thus, RKill logs contain all processes that were terminated, either by RKill itself or manually, during the running the script. If RKill does not list anything then it did not terminate any processes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users