Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seriously Messed up Windows XP Pro sp3

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dilumeeshu

dilumeeshu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:35 PM

I am not a technically sound but normally I manage to repair my computer's problems by following the forums. I had a FakeAgent virus infection last week which I managed to clean by installing SuperAntispyware.My Mcafe although confirmed cleaning it many times but wasn't successful, even MBAM failed to trace. However, after cleaning I realized that I am not able to use system restore although I had several restore points.Also, I couldn't boot in safe mode/ any advanced mode. I tried few solutions from various forums but nothing worked.Finally I downloaded Safeboot program learning in one forum and used it to boot in safe mode. My computer then showed the advanced boot option but once windows screen started it ended up with blue screen error " stop 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF76B0211,0xF78FA4E8,0xF78FA1E4)". The only way was to restart using power button but always ended up at the blue screen. I surfed several forums to find a solution and finally decided to use XP Pro SP3 CD to use recovery console or repair. When I used the one I got, it never offered any recovery or repair option and rather started installing it on C drive without cleaning the existing system flies. When I realized it is trying to install fresh, I stopped. Now I have one existing corrupted installation and other one is half installed XP, so now I get two boot options. The existing ends up in blue screen and the other one looks forward to complete the set up. Obviously I don't want fresh installation at all.
My goal is to first recover the data and then repair XP and finally erase the halfway installed XP in the same partition where OS in installed. Is it possible to achieve? Can someone help by explaining step by step procedure. Should I complete the half installation and if I do, can I use that to recover my data and eventually repair the first one. Will it work that way?
I have already spent two whole days in first cleaning the virus and finally landing up in a messed up state.Please help !!! Thanking you all in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2011 - 10:21 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jim Ow

Jim Ow

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

The best option is going to be to retrieve your data, plug the drive into another PC and transfer all of the data off of it. I would then format the drive, it sounds as if there's quite a lot of issues going on with the PC. Do a fresh Install of XP after this, it will save a lot of hastle.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

Although SAS may remove some forms of malware...I would never rely on it alone to clean a system.

I'm moving this to our Am I Infected forum where more knowledgeable persons may take a deeper look at what's going on.

Louis

#4 dilumeeshu

dilumeeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hi All,
I managed to create a Linux boot up USB and used it to boot up the PC and got access to C drive and finally managed to back up my data on external HD.
Then searched for boot.ini file on C drive and got three files boot.ini, boot.ini back up and boot.ini.sab. I managed to edit the boot.ini file and thus got rid of the two OS option to boot from. Finally it booted normally although took a long time. Also I find two Windows folder in drive C. I need to finally get rid of those and get clean. Any suggestions?

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

Hi dilumeeshu,

You have done a great job on your own. I wonder why you don't go for a reformat and reinstall of OS on C drive and get rid of any junk, malware leftover, unneeded software, etc.?

Edited by farbar, 17 June 2011 - 06:01 PM.

#6 dilumeeshu

dilumeeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

Hi Farbar,
Thanks for the response.
Unfortunately, the laptop has some software which I don't have original copies. Also, it doesn't belong to me, so I don't want to format the HD.
Regards

#7 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

So do you need assistance to remove the second Windows folder?

#8 dilumeeshu

dilumeeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

Hi,
Actually I just deleted and restarted the computer. Initially it looked like as if it was going to hang, it took long time to boot. Then I just used CHKDSK to check errors and clean. It's all fine except that my "All programs-Start up looks empty". I have used CC cleaner several times, so I don't think I can use unhide.exe program. I need help to get the program icons and the sub menu show up in "All programs".

#9 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

I have used CC cleaner several times, so I don't think I can use unhide.exe program.

Still it doesn't do any harm to run Unhide.exe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users