Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Hard drive enclosure freezes PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

I connected a USB hard drive enclosure to my PC and it sort of froze the PC. I couldn't open anything. The hard drive in the enclosure is an IDE drive with the jumper set to Master, like the instructions indicate. Does anyone know why it's causing my PC to freeze?

My computer is Win XP and the hard drive in the enclosure also had Win XP on it, if that matters.

The Device Manager recognizes the model # for the hard drive.

Edited by blub, 12 June 2011 - 11:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

What is the history of this IDE drive? I know if you connect a failing hard drive via USB (or other methods, I suppose), Windows usually won't be able to mount it and will just freeze.

You can force a mount on a UNIX-based system (Mac, Linux, etc.), though.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users