Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Time & Date

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Winnipeg

Winnipeg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:07 AM

I don't why, but I keep getting this warning, W32time in the system logs The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized and when you click on the link for Microsoft, they are no help at all. I could type the long winded explaination but here's what they say in a nutshell - If the W32Time 36 message appears on a computer that is not a domain controller, such as a home computer, business workstation, or member server, no user action is required. By default, these systems do not provide the time to requesting clients and should be the only computers affected by this event. After connectivity or communication with the time source is restored, the computer will resume synchronizing with its source. All Microsoft is saying is don't worry it will fix itself.

I know, I can fix this problem two ways, I could click on Time and Date and Update the server - time.windows.com or in - DOS, I could type - Net Stop W32time and Net Start W32time and this would synchronize the time and everything would be back to normal again, or you would think so, but in 3 days I would get the same warning and I would have to reset the time again. I have to tell you this time thing is driving me nuts and Microsoft is no help at allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. I do have the box checked to auto. syn. with internet time server. When I get this warning, I check my systems clock and the clock in Date and Time and they are the same time, so what gives here. I have tried to W32tm / Unregister and W32tm / register and no matter what I do, Windows still goes haywire. I know how important the clock is in windows, anything opened, closed, sent, or received has to have the right time.

Ok, so how do I fix this problem to get Windows to stop messing with the clock because fixing this all the time is really starting to get me ticked off. I wonder how many other users have this problem and don't know about it. Their is no box that pops up and alerts the user to this problem - If their was I would see this every 3 days - Windows Forgot How TO Tell Time.

Thanks any help with getting windows to learn how to tell time will be greatly appreciated.

Winnipeg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jakob

jakob

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:54 AM

HI,
I am a complete novice. However, I experienced a similar problem with the windows clock before the Smitfraud virus manifested itself on my PC. The virus hides in the W32 folder and cannot be removed by Panda. And now I cant boot my PC!!!. As, you probably know, you can find information on this site about how to remove the virus... if it is a virus.
Jakob

#3 Winnipeg

Winnipeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:51 PM

Hello Jakob;

Thanks for the info., on the Smitfraud virus, but I don't think this is my problem. I think from reading about this problem, it is a bug in Windows Xp, Date and Time Program. I contacted Microsoft about this problem and waiting, for a reply. I think if it was a virus, Windows would not be able to resynchronize the time.

Even thou, I don't think it is the Smitfraud virus, I'm checking my machine to make sure, I do not have this virus. In your post you said" And now I can't boot my PC", How did you post this message, if you can not boot your PC, are you using different machine.

Thanks

Winnipeg

#4 jakob

jakob

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:55 AM

Yes I am using another PC.

#5 Winnipeg

Winnipeg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:23 PM

Hello jakob;

If I were you, I would not download this file and try and clean my machine, I would post a log in the hijack forum and let the experts guide you thru the process of removing the infection. It seems their are a lot of users who are downloading this file and running into a lot of trouble with their machines.

I would let the hijack experts advise me on how to do this safely, they know what they are doing. Sometimes self-help by reading a tutorial on how to remove something ends in diaster. I would rather wait for help and let the experts help me, but that's me, some users think they can fix the problem right away and they make the problem worse.

Have a good day!

Winnipeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users