Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C: Hard Drive filling up by itself

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tide20

Tide20

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hi, I'm Terrence, new member here with a very frustrating problem, before I get into that I'll give a brief rundown of some recent events that might make it easier to find the solution for the current problem.

recently, less than a week ago I left my computer on and came back and saw one of those false spyware scans had popped up on my computer, I closed it and sure enough antimalware doctor had installed itself on my computer. It got to the point where it shut off my mozilla firefox and I couldn't open any programs because they were ''infected''. I came back in safe mode went on google and found a thread on this site with someone with the same problem, I followed the instructions, downloaded Rkill with a different directory name and managed to use it while the computer booted normally. Then I ran Malware bytes and got rid of AntiMalware Doctor. I found that I was still having the problem when I clicked on links I was being re directed to different sites no matter what I did, after trying various anti malware/spyware programs I eventually got Norton Protection Suite (free for comcast users) and it actually found the trojan causing this on it's own and handled it. I ran a full scan and deleted other stuff and everything seemed fine after that.

Now I'll get into the current problem, about a day ago I noticed my memory was very low, I thought it was normal since I had downloaded all this anti virus stuff and deleted all of them except Norton Anti Virus and freed up about 1g of memory, didn't download any more files after that. Then later on it gave me the memory is very low warning again which didn't make sense because now I had less than 200 MB of memory. I then noticed that my hard drive was filling up by itself! I would keep highlighting it and it would slowly be decreasing it would stop at a certain point and then it would say I had more memory then it would decrease again until it finally hit zero. I rebooted my computer and I had about 500mb memory, I sat for a while making sure it wasn't steadily decreasing again and it did not. Then I got on the internet and checked it, it started moving down again. Then I got on youtube and watched a video then it REALLY started decreasing all the way to where it said memory was critically low. When I shut off my browser or close a window the memory shoots back up.

I've read that there is a problem with Norton where it gets corrupted and saves a bunch of stuff to your hard drive or temp folder as .qsp files or something, the reccomended fix was to uninstall Norton and re install, that hasn't done anything for me. I read that sometimes Windows goes crazy with restore points, I turned restore points off and the memory went up, but then it just kept slowly going back down like before so that didn't help either.

I also downloaded TDSS killer because a rootkit seemed like it would make sense, it found nothing. I've ran my antivirus programs, anti malware bytes and Norton and they both came up with nothing. I even tried deleting files off the computer, I get extra space and then it starts slowly depleting again. So I have no idea if it's malware or some kind of hard drive error but I'm lost at the moment and hoping someone can help me.

I'm thinking that since whenever I go on the internet (youtube especially) the memory starts going down, I would assume that data is being saved to my Hard Drive from the internet, like a temp file or something, but I even checked my temp files and cleared them and it's still happening. From the time I started writing this my memory went from 700 mb to 6.73, it goes much faster on youtube for whatever reason. Once I close firefox completely the memory stops draining. I have also tried browsing with Internet explorer to see if it was a browser problem and had no success.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2011 - 07:57 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users