Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Fails to Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kirikin

kirikin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:30 AM

Hey everybody. I've been trying to fix this problem on my own and decided to try posting here before calling the Alienware help people. The problem is as follows:
I have an Alienware M14x running Windows 7 Home Premium

I downloaded a malicious file, not knowing that it was and not thinking about it, and immediately it ran an .exe file and my computer screen went black. After a few seconds, the computer began to reboot and it brought me to the Startup Repair screen. After a long wait, startup repair threw in the towel and decided that it could not fix the problem, so I went into advanced options and tried a system restore to two days before. After restoring the system began to reboot, only to bring me back to the Startup Repair screen and have that fail yet again. This next time I tried using the Alienware Respawn utility and to restore the computer back to its factory state. That ran and after a long wait she booted back up again. This time I was able to create my first account again and rename my computer, all of the things I had to do when I first got it a few weeks back, and then log in. I logged in, and I was immediately greeted with the error message that Rundll32.exe failed to initialize properly, or something to that effect. I thought it strange, and started looking up what it was and why it wasn't starting on Google. It was here that I also noticed that I was unable to click the links google found me and go to them, instead I was being taken to ad sites and other crappy search engines and I could not go to other sites unless I typed in the URL manually. This could be related, or it could not. Felt it best to include just in case. After not really finding much, I went to windows updater to try to get my computer back up to speed. I also noticed around here that my computer was running uncharacteristically slow. I checked off all important updates, around 30 or so, and let it go. After updating, I was prompted to restart. I did, and was, to my extreme dismay, brought back to the startup repair screen where it failed to repair yet again. So I took a break, came back, repeated an Alienware Respawn to factory state, and then tried to install and run Avast. It installed successfully, but right when I began to scan the computer threw up a blue screen for a few seconds. It was so quick and unexpected that I could not read the error message in time, and then it disappeared, restarted, hit another blue screen which said something entirely different, yet was again so quick that I could not read what it said, then rebooted and took me to startup repair. This time I held down the power and then turned it back on just as a last "Well lets just try this before I go to bed" kind of thing. Turned it off, then I was able to log in this time (?!?) Avast was still there, so I uninstalled it and tried to download another antivirus, Microsoft Security Essentials. This installed, and then prompted me to reboot. Upon rebooting, I hit the startup repair failing again and this is where I am now. Please help. Preservation of data is not an issue for me at this point. Just getting it back to factory settings and workable is what I'm looking for. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kirikin

kirikin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:41 PM

up

#3 kirikin

kirikin