Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to stop the dreaded 'Windows Security Alert' Malware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lmhill

lmhill

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

Hi Folks

I've had to use rkill 3 times in the last year to get rid of that awful malware which says I have viruses installed and wants me to pay to get 'nothing' fixed - you know the one.

My current security suite is about to expire - ESET Nod32 - so I'm looking to find something which will actually stop the above from getting onto my system in the first place. ESET is great for everything else, just won't stop this one, and they don't seem to have the answer.

So, my question for this post: is the PCTools SpywareDoctor you show banners for do the job, or is it the sort of problem which nothing picks up?

I have had a good look through this forum, but so far haven't found anything which seems to address prevention - perhaps someone could point me in the right direction if I've missed it.

Thanks in advance.

Lyn B)

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2011 - 04:23 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV, Firewall, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

<<My current security suite is about to expire - ESET Nod32 - so I'm looking to find something which will actually stop the above from getting onto my system in the first place.>>

You cannot rely on any one item...AV, firewall, other malware-defense program...to protect a system from today's malware. Cold and simple truth.

Combine that with the fact that...no matter how well-protected a system might be...it's really the user who is the weak link in protecting a system. A user who doesn't understand the importance of safe surfing...will undo any program that may have been installed for protective purposes.

FWIW: Windows Security Alert...is only one of a truckload of such programs. To be concerned with it...seems overly simplistic to me.

Sometime...you might take a look at the BC stable of current removal guides for this and similar types of malware, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum55.html .

There is not necessarily any defense known today...for what may come our way tomorrow or the future. All defense measures that users take...are pretty much reactive in developnebt. That means that...we come up with ways of defeating/overcoming it after it has been recognized as something new that is not necessarily neutralized by the "old cures".

In spite of the rhetoric used by vendors/developers to make users think otherwise...it's a very uphill battle, which is why our malware forums are so overworked with malwaare situations.

When I was in the Army (eons ago), I took a course on physical security, as part of my site security responsibilities. The most basic precept that I remember being stressed...is that...it's impossible...yes, impossible...to prevent someone who wants access from gaining such, provided he/she has sufficient time and opportunity.

I tend to think of malware in the same way...which is why safe surfing practices are so important. Increase the chances by ignoring such...and you increase the opportunities to beocme infected, IMO.

I don't know anything about malware, it's not my cup of tea and my knowledge is pretty sparse...but you may also want to visit AV, Firewall, Privacy Products and Protection Methods.

Edit: I moved your post to the above forum.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2011 - 04:25 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:20 AM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-vendors. Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections.

Further, each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Replacing ESET Nod32 is not the solution.

A multi-layered defense using anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users