Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Introduces Software Starter Kit

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:31 PM

SAN FRANCISCO -- Google Inc. is distributing a free software startup kit designed to make computing safer and easier - a generous gesture driven by the company's desire to steer technology offline as well as online.The software bundle, unveiled Friday in Las Vegas during a speech by Google co-founder Larry Page, represents the Internet search engine leader's latest jab at industry kingpin Microsoft Corp. The suite of programs is designed to make it easier to install and maintain basic applications that have helped turn the PC into a hub of information, entertainment and communications. By MICHAEL LIEDTKE AP BUSINESS WRITER Friday, January 6, 2006 ยท Last updated 4:01 p.m. PT
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:37 PM

So, this 'pack' is available for free off the internet, and it's supposed to protect your computer better? Hmm... More stuff to clog up my RAM. :thumbsup:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:17 AM

The only "protection" I see is a six month trial of Norton Anti-virus. For the rest you probably already have the good stuff :

The Google Pack includes Adobe Systems Inc.'s Acrobat Reader, RealNetworks Inc.'s media player, Mozilla's Firefox Web browser and Cerulean Studios' Trillian instant messaging program.

(I do NOT include RealPlayer in "the good stuff")

Six of the programs in the package are owned by Google, which had previously offered all but one on a piecemeal basis. A screensaver that automatically displays pictures stored on a personal computer is being introduced for the first time as part of the "Google Pack."

Well that's a big Ho-hum. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 08 January 2006 - 12:23 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:19 AM

Everyone I know who knows about computers has that stuff anyway (minus RealPlayer). Kinda need it to get around the internet safely.

That screensaver is in XP, at least...I think they're just wasting effort with it.

Edited by Lanscader, 08 January 2006 - 01:19 AM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:38 AM

Seems to me like this software package is somewhat redundant, but we will have to wait and see when it finally comes out precisely why it benefits anyone. I would be wary, myself, of any program that automatically updated ANY application on my machine, just as much as I am wary of MS automatic updates. I still believe I should choose what is on my hard drive.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:22 PM

Smells like Big Brother to me. Their toolbar and email already monitors you for "selective advertising" and what else!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:15 PM

I'm glad to hear Google doing this! :D

However I think many people are being mislead. Not all programs included are for your "protection." This is a "starter" kit. These are usually the program needs right after you format your computer.

#8 Neverwill

Neverwill

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

well it sure would help the less technical experianced people to be safer...hah i couldnt find the correct wording for technical experianced

Posted Image

#9 BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:01 PM

There's a google article right above this one about google copying your hard drive,that could later cause privacy issues.You sure that bundle is worth it???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users