Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Short Cuts Corrupted

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CLH

CLH

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

Hi all,

My PC has gotten Stupid :thumbsup:

During start-up I would occasionally get a message that Windows had to use a back-up copy of my registry and it was successful. This concerned me a little but my system always started and ran fine after this message.
Then after one of these start-up registry messages, my Desk top Icons and all of my program short cuts (even when using Start, All Programs) were changed. They no longer launch the programs. I get a message window pop-up that says Windows doesn’t know what program this file should run with. I checked the short cut properties and all of the file types are now .LNK files. They are no longer recognized as shortcuts. Even if I install a new program, the short cut created for it is the same, an .LNK file.
I can run all of my programs but have to open the shortcut properties and then “Find Target” to get the .exe files to launch the program. This has become a minor inconvenience but I am concerned about bigger problems that may exist.
The only two programs not affected are Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

I run Norton Virus scan once a week and three different spy ware programs once a week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:55 AM

I believe that TweakUI has a "Rebuild Icons" function. It's available for free here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 CLH

CLH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:41 PM

usasma,
Thanks for the suggestion. Is my problem an Icon problem even though none of my short cuts work, even the ones listed under: START, ALL PROGRAMS?
I have added programs to my PC since this occurred and even the new Icons and short cuts added for these new programs are still listed as .LNK files.

I would like to insert an image of my short cut properties window but can't paste within this post (or don't know how).

Thanks again
Chris

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

How to take and share a screen shot in Windows
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 CLH

CLH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the help with the screen shot. I knew how to capture it but couldn't get it to paste into the forum posting. I'll try saving it as a .jpg and go from there.

Thanks Chris

P.S. What does the "1911" in you screen name stand for?

#6 CLH

CLH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

OK. Now I have the .jpg files on my hard drive. How do I attached them to this post? I see the Insert Image button but it asks for a URL (sorry, I have never attached images to posts before.).

Thanks
Chris

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:07 AM

Go back to the link I provided, and follow Step 5, Upload a screen shot to an image site.

P.S. What does the "1911" in you screen name stand for?

Colt Model 1911 (.45 Automatic)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#8 CLH

CLH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

Thanks tg1911,

I own 4 1911's but only one is a Colt. Others are 2 Kimbers and a Para LDA. Love my single stack 1911's

Chris

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:48 PM

Nice :thumbsup:

#10 CLH

CLH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

Sorry it has been so long for me to post my screen shots. Going back to my earlier question:

Is my problem an Icon problem even though none of my short cuts work, even the ones listed under: START, ALL PROGRAMS?
I have added programs to my PC since this occurred and even the new Icons and short cuts added for these new programs are still listed as .LNK files.

Attached are images of one of my Icon/shortcut properties. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to convert the .LNK file types back to "shortcuts". My system doesn't know what program to use for .lnk files and if I associate .lnk files with one program, all of my shortcuts/icons try to open with that program.

Thanks
Chris
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users