Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shell32.dll

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yepytzme

Yepytzme

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

Hi, need some help with this one.
My brother's friend screwed with my brother's computer and cannot fix his mess.
My brother says he keeps getting freezes and not working properly. The main problems seems to be an error with his Shell32.dll. This is the result of a scan he did;
C:\Windows\...\shell32.dll Error:Data error (cyclic redundancy)

I, on his behalf, went through a multitude of sites and about a half dozen downloads for shell32.dll automatic fixers and each and every one of them 'claim' they can fix it but require a 'purchase' before they do anything. I tried microsoft but they just lead me to another 'pay' site, I tried Cnet downloads..same thing. PCWorld has download but they too are pay first sites.

Anybody have any suggestions? He is using Windows 7.

Edited by Andrew, 12 June 2011 - 05:34 AM.
Mod Edit: Moved From XP to Win7 - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:33 AM

He can enter this command into the Start Menu's search box or into the Run... dialog to have Windows detect and repair any damaged system files:

sfc /scannow

He may need his Windows DVD if there are any damaged files which Windows cannot fix with its own backups.

#3 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Andrew, appreciate the help. I, prior to posting this query, asked him to download and run a program I use frequently..Glary Utilities. He just sent me a message today saying that apparently (hopefully) it fixed the problem. He ran a scan again and the error message no longer exists. We'll see.
Again thanks for the help. Just to let you know, when I ran your suggestion on my computer I got a message saying I needed to insert the service pack 3 CD. Well, the problem is, unlike the efficiency of Bleeping Computer, that Bleppin' Dell computer company does not provide you with CD's when you purchase their computers. They are preloaded. Hence I do not have the required CD, not that I need it right now.

Again, thanks Andrew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users