Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random BSOD problems and search redirects

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nebelwerfer41

Nebelwerfer41

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

Ok, I'm new to this site and found it while researching ComboFix (suggested by my IT guy at work).

The situation started Thursday evening. I started up an application (World of Tanks) and noticed that things were running VERY slow. I opened Task Manager and saw that one svchost was eating up a large amount of memory (500k+). I ended the process and shut down the PC. Upon rebooting, I got a BSOD about two minutes afterwards, which flashed up too quickly for me to read what it was saying, and then my machine immediately restarted. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I restarted in safe mode and ran several scans with Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Avast!. Each one saw different infections, which I quarantined and deleted. I restarted (as recommended by Avast to finish deleting the infected files) and things seemed OK. I opened firefox and noticed that all my searches were being redirected. A few more scans found infected files in Java. Just when all seemed fixed this morning, I got the BSOD again.

Currently, I'm posting this message with my laptop and backing up my files from the infected desktop machine. As soon as those are safe, I'll run through the processes recommended on the prep guide and post my logs.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2011 - 11:02 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:19 AM

Post the logs...in the appropriate forum (follow Prep Guide instructions) when ready.

Louis

#3 Nebelwerfer41

Nebelwerfer41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:55 AM

Ok, I booted up this morning to install DeFogger, etc. and I picked up one of the fake antivirus programs. I will attempt to remove with Malwarebytes first, otherwise it will not let me continue the process. Can a mod please repost this in the appropriate forum?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users