Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't update BIOS

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 infected mqan

infected mqan

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

Hello.. I'll get right to it..

Basically, I just re-formatted my computer due to infections.. And I just now got the PC up and running, but I can't get my game to load. I re-installed it 3 times, and everytime I double click the .exe the screen goes black for a second and the game just doesn't load. I was looking for solutions and read perhaps BIOS needs an update.

My bios settings are: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.10, 1/9/2003

I tried accessing the manufacture website, but was greeted to an error upon loading their website. Does anyone know if my BIOS is out-dated, and needs an update? I would greatly appreciate if someone could clear this up. For some reason I can't goto the website.

Thanks,
Mitch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

I would not rush in with updating the BIOS if I were you.

Can you give us more information on Details of your Computer and what happened with the Malware? It maybe just a simple adjustment needed?

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

Well it was concluded my computer was compromised. All types of malware. It can be found: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic401905.html
Anyways, I just finished reformatting and for some reason I can't get this game to load. If you say I shouldn't worry about the BIOS then I guess it's not that.

Thanks,
Mitch

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

Well it was concluded my computer was compromised. All types of malware. It can be found: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic401905.html
Anyways, I just finished reformatting and for some reason I can't get this game to load. If you say I shouldn't worry about the BIOS then I guess it's not that.

Thanks,
Mitch

From Hamluis, from the Link you Posted, and was just yesterday? Please take notice! We can probably Help you after you wait.

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere.

Oops, I just read the link that Hamluis Posted and can see that Teacup has given you the all clear, that is a totally different story now, Mate, (means Friend).

I will try to pass on a few things I have picked up, if you like?

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 11 June 2011 - 11:11 PM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

Anything that would help, I will surely take note.

#6 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

Glad to, Mate.

Can you give us the following information so we can get the overall picture of what was done during reformat and reinstall? It will help us a lot.

1. Can you tell us how many Drives you have fitted? Normally it is A: for Floppy, C: for HDD, D: for CDROM and E: for DVD. If there are more Drives, are they extra HDDs or Partitions. This is VERY important.

2. How was the Reformat/Reinstall actually carried out? Meaning did you use an XP Disk to do it or did you just install over the top of the old OS, by other means?

3. If you dont have an XP Disk can you borrow one? It will work as long as it is the same Version as your Access Code, which you have. You will definately need it. You could get a copy done at a Computer Shop, it is not illegal, just as long as you have a legimate Access Code.

4. Have you saved all Data to another Drive as suggested by boopme here?

Your welcome.. i hate to post that but it is the safest route.

Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Post No. 75, Page 5 From http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic401905.html/page__st__60

This Information wil Help quite a bit for the next move, as you seem to have been hit by some very nasty ones that can still hide undetected in weird places.

Let's see what we can do?

BTW, I love boopme's under Avatar saying, " To INSANITY and BEYOND !!", it is very appropiate for this, I actually had Nine Machines down with similar and almost went crazy until I found out how to fix them after many months trial and error.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

I sincererly doubt the problem is a BIOS error, like drovers said. Is your drivers up to date, and how about the directX? perhaps reinstalling directX, and making sure your machine is up todate with all pertinent windows updates and drivers would be a good place to start.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

I think it is more likely to be connected with the Reformat/Reinstall, that is why I asked for more Information.

I am sure I can help out, but need more Information to ensure we do it right the first time.

Maybe others can learn as well? I almost went crazy trying to solve it, so it could be beneficial to many more other Members?

Some Nasties can hide in the darnest of places and defy discovery, just to come back later, unless the complete System is fixed properly.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:39 PM

You may be right drover, I was simply covering the basis. :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:08 AM

Please feel free to call me DD, Mate. (meaning Friend)

It is a term I have been well known as for many years.

I am just a simple, down to earth Aussie that cares, But IDTSFNB. I will PM you the meaning of the acromen, I think?

Maybe we all can share our knowledge and learn from each other in many other ways? That has always been my Hope.

BTW? I got a savage Hit tonight after someone else used my Computer on the Net, even with my Defences, but of course, the person using it can override the Defence, just by a click of the Mouse?

Nothing can ever be PERFECT?

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#11 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hello guys, thanks for the response and pursuit to help me!

1. Can you tell us how many Drives you have fitted? Normally it is A: for Floppy, C: for HDD, D: for CDROM and E: for DVD. If there are more Drives, are they extra HDDs or Partitions. This is VERY important.

- Unfortunately i'm not too sure. When I open My Computer, I notice the following:
Hard Disk Drives:
C: PRESARIO
D: PRESARIO RP
Devices with Removable Storage:
A: 3 1/2 Floppy
E: CD-RW Drive
F: DVD Drive
Is this the correct information you were asking for? If not I will be glad to provide you with it.

2. How was the Reformat/Reinstall actually carried out? Meaning did you use an XP Disk to do it or did you just install over the top of the old OS, by other means?

- I did not use any XP disk. I simply pressed an "F" button, I think it was F8, i'm really not certain. But it gave me the option to do a "destructive restore", it said it would erase all my data. and I was told that this process would suffice for a reformat.

3. If you dont have an XP Disk can you borrow one? It will work as long as it is the same Version as your Access Code, which you have. You will definitely need it. You could get a copy done at a Computer Shop, it is not illegal, just as long as you have a legitimate Access Code.

- I think it will be very hard for me to obtain the disk. If I def. need it, I may have to just go buy a new one. There's no way around that I presume?

4. Have you saved all Data to another Drive as suggested by boopme here?

- From what I understood, it was only if I needed to save files that I didn't want to lose (like .mp3s, .jpg, .doc). And if thats the case I certainly don't and didn't mind erasing everything. I thought I would just re-install whatever I needed.

Let's see what we can do?

- Thank you! Take your time :)

#12 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

I sincererly doubt the problem is a BIOS error, like drovers said. Is your drivers up to date, and how about the directX? perhaps reinstalling directX, and making sure your machine is up to-date with all pertinent windows updates and drivers would be a good place to start.

- Didn't wanna not answer/address your reply :) I do believe all my drivers are up to date, I used a program called Secunia boopme told me about, as-well as manually checking to see if a few drivers were updated. I strongly believe I have updated the appropriate drivers and files, although I may be incorrect. The only reason I thought it was the BIOS was after some extensive research on the problem, and is an issue I am not familiar with.

Thanks,
Mitch

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

I dont think you ever posted the name of the game you are trying to get to work.

"I tried accessing the manufacture website, but was greeted to an error upon loading their website"
That is never a good sign. What did it say?

Game manufacturers tend to blame issues with their software on everybody else but themselves.
If everything else works correctly on your system, you can only conclude that the issue is with the game.

Flashing your BIOS for a game? No, no no!
Run the risk of ruining your system for that?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

I dont think you ever posted the name of the game you are trying to get to work.

- Apologies, the name of the game is: Counter Strike: Source

"I tried accessing the manufacture website, but was greeted to an error upon loading their website"
That is never a good sign. What did it say?

May be some confusion. I was greeted to an error when I tried accessing my BIOS manufacture website. I can try to go there again to see if that problem still exists.

Game manufacturers tend to blame issues with their software on everybody else but themselves.
If everything else works correctly on your system, you can only conclude that the issue is with the game.

- Well, I just finished "reformatting", and this particular PC is intended for Gaming. I haven't really noticed any problems, other then my game not being able to work =\

Thanks,
Mitch

#15 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the Information, it makes things so much easier.

Let's look at the two Drives, C: and D: we just may be able to sneak you a copy of the XP Disk, if I am right.

Hard Disk Drives:
C: PRESARIO
D: PRESARIO RP

Devices with Removable Storage:
A: 3 1/2 Floppy
E: CD-RW Drive
F: DVD Drive
Is this the correct information you were asking for? If not I will be glad to provide you with it.

and this

- I think it will be very hard for me to obtain the disk. If I def. need it, I may have to just go buy a new one. There's no way around that I presume?

I am pretty sure that the D: Drive is actually a Recovery Partition that contains all your Drivers and also a copy of XP.

Let's find out for sure?

Open My Computer, right click on C:, select Properties then Post back the size of the Drive and Free Space. Do the same to D:. Now open D: up and just take note of what is inside, don't click on anything just yet! Post back the Infomation when you can.

Ray

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users