Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have an odd OEM question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

I bought that Toshiba laptop from my friend. She only had the recovery disk because her husband can't find the XP OEM disk. I cannot afford the $30 to put out for the set and I can't find anywhere where I can just buy the one disk. My question is this: A few years back I had a company build me a generic system with just the OS, XP PRO Media. I don't like to purchase a computer with anything else, like programs that I will never use, but the OS. This Toshiba will be a sweet little machine when I get it back to factory status. Can I use the OEM windows XP PRO disks from the other machine? Or am I right in saying that the OEM disks are ONLY for the machine they were first installed in?

Be gentle, I am ill.

Jann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cornnut

Cornnut

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

Maybe try running a reinstall? Open my computer and then open your c: drive more than likely. Find the folder "i386" and open it. Then find the file "WINNT32.EXE" and open it. This should start the reinstall.

#3 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

Maybe try running a reinstall? Open my computer and then open your c: drive more than likely. Find the folder "i386" and open it. Then find the file "WINNT32.EXE" and open it. This should start the reinstall.

Okay, here's the deal about that: When I recover the system, it will wipe out everything, including the OS. So doing that would not work, since I will no longer have that file. There is so much crap on this machine from whomever had itbefore Pam, I need to restore/recover it. I mean, she would install a trial program on top of the same trial program without deleting anything. There are so many attempts to get connected to the net, the only the dial-up works. I new there was a way to install Windows without the disk, but I couldn't do it because I need the machine back to factory settings.

But, thanks for the way to reinstall the OS by going to WINNT32. I may have to do that to my Mac Mini

Jann

Okay, here's the deal about that: When I recover the system, it will wipe out everything, including the OS. So doing that would not work, since I will no longer have that file. There is so much crap on this machine from whomever had itbefore Pam, I need to restore/recover it. I mean, she would install a trial program on top of the same trial program without deleting anything. There are so many attempts to get connected to the net, the only the dial-up works. I new there was a way to install Windows without the disk, but I couldn't do it because I need the machine back to factory settings.

But, thanks for the way to reinstall the OS by going to WINNT32. I may have to do that to my Mac Mini

Jann

#4 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

Here's a thought: When I did a recovery on my daughter's laptop, Acer with Vista, I had no disks and used the recover utility within. It took the machine to factory and re-installed Vista. She didn't get any type of system recovery disks. I understand that with the recovery utility on all the machines makes up for disks. Which is something I really don't like. Thoughts?

J

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:37 PM

Instead of posting 5 items in your thread.

Why not tell us the make and model of the system.
That would really help a great deal!

If there is nothing on it that you care about, and if the recovery partition is intact, you might be able to to a full system recovery.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:42 PM

I think OP has accidentally double posted.

I also think the suggestion to use the WINNT32.EXE for reinstall, is ill advised for so many reasons.
What's your view.

#7 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:29 AM

Instead of posting 5 items in your thread.

Why not tell us the make and model of the system.
That would really help a great deal!

If there is nothing on it that you care about, and if the recovery partition is intact, you might be able to to a full system recovery.

There is another partition with 306MB, it is not named nor is it assigned a drive number. It is called Unknown partition. And it is healthy. I looked at the partition tutorial here in the forums. I can't see any way to get to that partition.

The machine is a Toshiba Satellite A105/S2101 running XP Home. There is nothing on here I want. I want to do a full system recovery. But the problem is that I have the Toshiba Recovery and Applications/Drivers DVD disk but the directions on it suggest that there is another disk which I assume is the OEM OS disk. She can't find the other one. I wanted to make this as easy as possible.

Thanks

Jann

Edited by JannEd, 12 June 2011 - 08:43 AM.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:44 AM

@petewills: >>>I also think the suggestion to use the WINNT32.EXE for reinstall, is ill advised for so many reasons<<<

I agree wholeheartedly, FWIW. :)

#9 imNooB

imNooB

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

I bought that Toshiba laptop from my friend. She only had the recovery disk because her husband can't find the XP OEM disk. I cannot afford the $30 to put out for the set and I can't find anywhere where I can just buy the one disk. My question is this: A few years back I had a company build me a generic system with just the OS, XP PRO Media. I don't like to purchase a computer with anything else, like programs that I will never use, but the OS. This Toshiba will be a sweet little machine when I get it back to factory status. Can I use the OEM windows XP PRO disks from the other machine? Or am I right in saying that the OEM disks are ONLY for the machine they were first installed in?

Be gentle, I am ill.

Jann

Yes you can use OEM discs. The only disadvantage is that you will have to manually install all the drivers for your lappy to work properly. But at least you get a clean install without all the mess Toshiba calls software.

EDIT: Actually thinking about it, if it's an OEM disc from another manufacturer, it might not, but if it's a clean OEM disc that you get buying a custom built pc from a shop, then yes it will work.

Edited by imNooB, 12 June 2011 - 09:42 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:55 AM

Clarification: Using the term "OEM" leads to confusion.

Microsoft has an OEM version of XP which is sold to users like me and other persons who build their own systems...and is sold to business entities which build systems for users. To try to eliminate some confusion, MS now calls these "System Builder" versions, rather than use the generic term "OEM."

"OEM" generally is used to refer to entitites like HP, Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, etc...who do not necessarily provide a copy of XP to their customers. Instead, they provide recovery/restore-to-factory-defaults CDs which may rely on existing partitions on the system...to perform properly.

Confusing things even more is Dell...which uses recovery/restore-to-factory-default mechanisms on some systems...while also providing disks which reflect full copies of XP on other systems they have manufactured/sold. To accurately determine which disk goes with the system, Dell customers need to review their system documentation and/or the Dell website documentation for the specific system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2011 - 09:55 AM.

#11 imNooB

imNooB

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

Microsoft has an OEM version of XP which is sold to users like me and other persons who build their own systems...and is sold to business entities which build systems for users. To try to eliminate some confusion, MS now calls these "System Builder" versions, rather than use the generic term "OEM."

:unsure: I had never noticed, but you are right. :thumbsup: Alot less confusing that way too, haha!!

#12 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

Louis

Hi again Louis!! Do I have it right and I can use the XP Pro disks on the Toshiba? I don't mind installing all the drivers, if I need to. I do have the product code and the MS key for this set.

Jann

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

I cannot see the disk, I don't know where it originated from...I can't comment on it.

I've provided the best info re this that I can...there's only way to find out what it is and how it works...that's to initiate running it. You can always stop it, I've not seen any O/S or software package that cannot be easily stopped from loading, once initiated. Of course, I've never had any recovery/restore CDs/DVDs.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 June 2011 - 12:30 PM.

#14 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

I cannot see the disk, I don't know where it originated from...I can't comment on it.

I've provided the best info re this that I can...there's only way to find out what it is and how it works...that's to initiate running it. You can always stop it, I've not seen any O/S or software package that cannot be easily stopped from loading, once initiated. Of course, I've never had any recovery/restore CDs/DVDs.

Louis

\Actually, I knew all along that the only way to find out is to do it. Sooooo, thanks! You always have my answer! Meet me in the partition forum!!

Jann

#15 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Louis

\Actually, I knew all along that the only way to find out is to do it. Sooooo, thanks! You always have my answer! Meet me in the partition forum!!

Jann

Glory Hallelujah (blame that on Spell Check). We/you can put this baby to rest!! This is to let you and anyone else know the solution to this. The Toshiba Recovery disk has it all, including XP Home! Should have run that right at first, would have relieved a lot of stress on this end! AND before I couldn't connect to my daughter's DSL without plugging her modem in, now I am auto-connected at boot up!! THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

Jann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users