Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank/Distored Dialog Boxes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shoegal

Shoegal

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hello, I have been searching high and low for a way to resolve this. I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm having a problem in Windows 7 (64 bit) where a lot of my prompt/dialog boxes are blank and I can't see the text. This mainly happens on prompt windows, like if I am trying to update or install a program. I am on a Dell XPS 9100, with an Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz processor. It has 3GB of Ram and a 500GB hard drive. If that helps at all.

Can anyone help me fix this error? I've run all kinds of virus/spyware/malware scans, but they don't come up with anything. I've attached some screenshots

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

Nothing in the screenshots unfortunately.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#3 Shoegal

Shoegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

I know. That is the problem. There should be text in those windows, but the text is missing. It's normally the text about accepting the terms and conditions and all of what you normally see before installing a program, but I can't see the text for some reason. That's what i'm trying to fix.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

Does the same thing happen in safe mode?

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#5 Shoegal

Shoegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

I don't think I've done anything new on the system since the last time it worked right. I know I've installed all of the Windows, Java and Abobe updates. Outside of that, I really don't know what's changed. I noticed the error when trying to install the Logitech software. The problem does not occur when the computer is in safe mode.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

Let's rule out something starting with your system. I'll check back tomorrow to see how things went, but I'm sure someone else will be helping you before that:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

#7 Shoegal

Shoegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

Hi Allan,

That seems to have done the trick. My hubby was kind enough to remind me that I started complaining about the problem after I updated Adobe. So, I went to msconfig, unchecked Adobe from the list of startup programs & everything seems to be in order now. Thank you very, very much for putting an end to this nightmare for me!

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:07 AM

You're very welcome - but please --- don't use msconfig to make permanent changes to startup processes - msconfig is strictly a diganostic utility. Instead, download and use a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel to manage startup items (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

#9 Shoegal

Shoegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:30 AM

Ok, I will download that and go from there. Thank you again for your help!

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

And you're welcome again - glad to help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users