Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 korniceman3000

korniceman3000

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

I recently suffered a virus infection and upon it's removal by MBAM, Windows Defender no longer works. As a result, I visited the Bleeping Computer Malware removal section and all viruses/malware were removed by Malware Response Team Member SweetTech so my laptop is free of viruses.

He referred me to the Windows Section regarding this error screen which appears each time I try to activate Windows Defender:

"Windows Defender Application failed to initialize: 0x80070006. The handle is invalid."

This computer came with Vista Home Edition. I have never disabled Windows Defender, have never upgraded the system from XP to Vista, and never changed any default settings with Defender.

Please advise as to what procedures I can take to restore Windows Defender. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,
Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

If I were you I'd disable Defender permanently (set the Windows Defender Service to DISABLED). Defender is a complete waste of resources and is not nearly as good as MalwareBytes or Super Antispyware.

#3 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:00 PM

If I were you I'd disable Defender permanently (set the Windows Defender Service to DISABLED). Defender is a complete waste of resources and is not nearly as good as MalwareBytes or Super Antispyware.

Hi Allan and thank you for replying :D

I have both MBAM and Superantispyware. I also use Avira Antivirus as my main/active antimalware program as well as Spybot SD. The main reason I'm a bit concerned is because I normally receive Windows updates every other day (usually for Defender) and I haven't had a new installation update since May 29 so I was a bit worried.

After the virus was removed by MBAM, Defender no longer worked and I'm wondering if it was because it was deleted or the virus did something to the registry or simply turned off Defender.

Please advise.
Thank you for the help.
Justin

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

Sorry, there's know way for me to know why you have the problem. If that's the only issue, don't worry about it. If you notice other problems let us know.

#5 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

Hi Allan,

So I guess as long as I have a real-time active antivirus program such as Avira, I shouldn't need to worry about Windows Defender being disabled.
Could you please advise if I should also install Avast or just leave Avira as my primary antivirus program?

Thank you again for the help!

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

You never needed Defender - it was just a bad app that MS dropped quickly. Yes, just Avira is fine - and no - DO NOT EVER have two anti virus programs installed, let alone running resident. Either Avira or Avast - your choice - but not both. And you're most welcome.

Edited by Allan, 11 June 2011 - 03:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users