Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for good, passive AV and Firewall for Vista Home Prem. 32-bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

I'm installing AV and firewall on someone's computer because they need something up there. However, my usual combo of Avira and Comodo Firewall would confuse these users pretty easily. I'm just used to the options and knowing what I'm looking at. Installing those two products would result in endless callbacks to me on their part.

I need something that's going to protect people who aren't very computer-literate (ie, probably couldn't/shouldn't be meddling with advanced AV/firewall options) and are virus prone because of bad net behaviors and general ignorance about computer security. (I'm trying to teach them, but I need something to hold them when I can't be there to answer phone calls.)

So, I guess a similar question would be, "If you were installing AV and firewall software on your grandparent's computer, what [free] products would you use?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

It would be MSE and the windows firewall for me, and I would make sure your Granparents knew that by far the best defence against viruses is COMMON SENSE. Maybe create standard user accounts depending on their use and needs ofcourse.

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

These are some of my friends nd, by age-group alone, my peers. But they fall under the "grandparents" level of ineptitude when it comes to anti-virus products. They know enough that Norton came with the computer... But can't seem to figure out the subscription ended some 3 years ago. (Hyperbole, but not by much.)

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

I think there are a lot of people like this. At some point, they have to accept some responsibility for keeping the computer secure. There's no idiot proof solution. I've never heard of a security product that requires no user initiated maintenance. Ineptitude is no excuse. Good habits can be learned. We all had to learn this. That's why I started coming here.

Edited by frankp316, 11 June 2011 - 02:05 PM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

Kaspersky AV and, depending on the version of Windows, the built in firewall is fine.

#6 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

In my view you can't beat the Avira/Comodo combo. Are they really too complex for the people you mention? I'm probably a similar level to them but now find both Avira and CIS straightforward and, as you rightly say, it's these less able users who would really benefit from better security because they are less likely to recognize malware warning signs.

You say the computer illiterate shouldn't be messing around with advanced A/V or firewall options, but once Avira and Comodo are set up which, presumably, you will do, I don't see what options they would need to get involved with. Certainly not Avira -just set it to update daily and scan weekly. With Comodo they will get the odd popup asking whether to allow, block or sandbox but these are few and far between - just tell them, if in doubt, to block.

If you really think there is no hope of them understanding Avira and Comodo, I suppose MSE and Windows firewall with PC Tools Threatfire real-time protection (no conflict problems) as an extra tier of defence would provide reasonable security, but not a patch on Avira and Comodo. Installing the Web Of Trust (WOT) traffic light website warning system would also be beneficial.

But my best advice would be to persevere with Avira and Comodo.

Edited by n01paranoid, 12 June 2011 - 05:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users