Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing a used hard drive into my laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rigger100472

Rigger100472

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

Hi

I have an Acer Aspire 4315 running w7 and currently have an 80 Gb hard drive which I frequently have to check for unwanted data to free up space. My friend recently broke his Acer one notebook with a 120 Gb hard drive with XP and He gave me this to see if I could use anything. I was thinking about inserting the 120 Gb hard drive into my laptop and am wondering if I would encounter any problems.

I cannot turn on his notebook because as I said earlier it is broken. Could I simply put it in my computer, format it and instal w7?

I have lots of function keys on my laptop to control volume, turn on/off the mousepad, lighten/darken the screen. Will these still work?

Any advise is welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

Assuming that the 120G HDD and the 80G HDD are the same type (Sata) you could use software such as Macrium Reflect free to clone the 80G to the 120G. Doing so would eliminate the need to reinstall Win 7, your apps and your data. All drivers would also be intact so all the function keys would work just as before.

Edited by strolln, 11 June 2011 - 12:53 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 Rigger100472

Rigger100472
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

Thanks, I have installed the software you suggested and am making an image onto an external hard drive now. How then do I get the image onto the hard drive I wish to put into my laptop? Don't forget that this will still have the OS system and data from the notebook. Do I need to format the new HDD?

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

If you would have attached the 120G HDD to the computer via a USB adapter or dock, you could have saved the image directly to the new drive. Since you didn't do that, you need to create a Rescue CD (hint: use the Linux boot cd option) that will allow you to boot from the CD and restore the image to the new drive.

After image is complete, remove old hdd, install new. Boot from CD with external drive attached. Restore image from external drive to new HDD, when restore is complete the new drive should be bootable and exactly as the old only with more disk space.

I just noticed you are using Win 7 which means you may need to image and restore 2 images. Does your original HDD show a 100M partition in addition to the C: drive partition? If so, you need to image that as well. When you restore, restore that 100M image first, then the C: partition image.

If I had read your original post more carefully and saw that you have Win 7 I would have recommended to use Win 7's built-in image program the Win 7 repair disk. The results will be the same but you wouldn't have needed to DL Macrium.

Edited by strolln, 11 June 2011 - 07:32 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users