Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade adobe reader 8 to 9 how?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

I looked at adobe reader website, large collection of irrelavent information for upgrading. I have Adobe Reader 8, which through the program I updated to the latest version of Adobe Reader 8, which is now 8.2.6. So when I used the Check For Updates feature through the program again, knowing that I should be able to receive upgrade to version 9, the message to me is that there are no more updates available.

Something must be wrong about this. Someone else in the household was able to make the automatic switch from version 8 to 9 a few months ago with no problem, but my try showed me nothing higher (in version number for product upgrade) available.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

Try uninstall/reinstall info on uninstall here.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

Try uninstall/reinstall info on uninstall here.

What a mess that article is! After seeing all there is to do and all the risks involved, I will just leave version 8 as it is on the machine. In the future, if necessary, I will just need to get Foxit Reader on the machien (Windows Vista Home Premium). Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

(Also, that article assumes that the user installed Adobe Reader from a disc, CD or DVD. Not mine. Adobe Reader 8 came pre-installed with the computer.)

#4 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, Adobe aren't exactly helpful. I use PDF -Xchange Viewer, LINK for that, if you're interested. If you want to uninstall Adobe, Revo Uninstaller should do the job and is free, or there's a trial of a 'Pro' version http://www.revouninstaller.com/
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#5 Oz Steve

Oz Steve

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:49 AM

Hi
try downloading this programme.
It will search for new updates for all programmes
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
i hope it helps you
Steve

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:52 AM

Morning cafejose.

Did you ever get this update installed? I'm running Adobe Reader X without any issues. I just deleted any/all earlier versions from the Control Panel and then went to Adobe's Products website and downloaded X from there.

No reading required.

I have to agree, I glanced over the material from mrfingerz and my head started hurting right away.

As for the app that Oz Steve mentioned, it's a great program that I discovered here at BC and it's easy to use and very helpful.

Well, I hope you got everything updated and patched.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

Winterland1965,

No, I did not get the update for Adobe Reader installed. Your comments about your own update effort are reassuring in case I try what you did. At least I am now aware of some alternative programs to Adobe Reader PDF.

So far, I have taken two updates on Adobe Reader 8 and the program still works well. There is also a version 5 Adobe Reader on my old laptop which I avoid using since that machine now also has Foxit Reader version 4 (which starts and opens files fairly fast, too).
Thanks.

#8 darklight1

darklight1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

Actually, just download and install Adobe Reader X, it should remove your old 8, and automatically install the newest version. Nothing too complicated

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

Just a note...using outdated versions of Adobe Reader...leaves your system more vulnerable to malware than it has to be.

Adobe Reader Seucrity Bulletins/Updates

Louis

#10 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:39 AM

darklight1 and hamlius, thanks for the additional or updated information on this.

Actually, just download and install Adobe Reader X, it should remove your old 8, and automatically install the newest version. Nothing too complicated

That would be really great, very desirable (if actually true - hope so).

Just a note...using outdated versions of Adobe Reader...leaves your system more vulnerable to malware than it has to be.

Adobe Reader Seucrity Bulletins/Updates

Louis

That is why I have been using Foxit Reader on the old computer with Windows XP, so that I do not need to worry about Adobe Reader (which is version 5 on that old machine).

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, Adobe aren't exactly helpful. I use PDF -Xchange Viewer, LINK for that, if you're interested. If you want to uninstall Adobe, Revo Uninstaller should do the job and is free, or there's a trial of a 'Pro' version http://www.revouninstaller.com/

+100 on the use of PDF-Xchange Viewer, and the use of Revo to uninstall Adobe/ and or Foxit (BUNDLES TOO MUCH CRAPWARE/SPYWARE, a HUGE pet peeve of mine) / and or any other pdf reader...

Lots of useful suggestions, including the use of Secunia PSI, Revo, alternate PDF reader to Adobe (HUGE bloat, is a vulnerability/exploit FACTORY, IMO) but Louis boils it down to it's simplest basic term, using outdated Adobe opens GAPING exploit holes. Lose it, update it.... just don't KEEP the old (vulnerable/exploitable) version no matter what.

#12 lti

lti

• Members
  • 595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

I don't like Adobe Reader or Foxit either. Adobe Reader X has a terrible user interface when viewing a PDF file inside a browser. It is to hard to zoom in on a page. Foxit ruined a fresh install of Windows on my computer and wouldn't uninstall (the uninstaller just created thousands of .exe files in C:\Windows\Temp and wouldn't stop until the hard drive was full). I had to reformat and reinstall Windows.

I might try the PDF-Xchange Viewer on my old laptop. Its hard drive is failing, so having a program ruin Windows isn't a big deal.

Edited by lti, 18 August 2011 - 10:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users