Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 and 'gadgets' problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 talx

talx

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

iv just got a laptop running windows 7, i put a clock (gadget) on the desktop and a AVG gadget.

now this laptop came with an already installed virus checker, but seeing i downloaded AVG i uninstalled this pre installed virus checker but before that i put a 'system restore' point, just in case.

everything was going well until i came to a web site that said i needed to install an update/upgrade of flash player to view the video, i clicked on install and AVG kicked in and said it was a trojan and did i want to move it to the vault which i did, but as soon as i clicked on the button, to move it, the internet went off.

now im on my desktop and every shortcut i click to open i get a message ' what program do you want to open this with' which isn't right, so i decide to do a system restore and the only way to do this is through 'safe mode' and the latest restore point is before i removed the preinstalled virus checker, so i had it use that one.

all is going fine the laptop restored to this point my gadget clock is showing and the AVG gadget, now i got to uninstall the pre loaded virus checker again did that and it asked for me to restart the laptop, so i did.

now when the laptop restarted my clock gadget is just a black square with half a red line on and the AVG gadget is virtually just an outline, tried to install a gadget but in just would not, downloaded a new gadget but when doubleclick on it nothing, anybody got any ideas how to get these gadgets back

i have attached an image of what this problem looks like.Attached File  gadget.JPG   14.64KB   4 downloads

some of the information above may not be connected to the problem, but i thought it might be helpful to type all that happened before the problem.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users