Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Radion x1950 graphics drivers keep corrupting or disappearing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Blacklight

Blacklight

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:01 AM

Hopefully one of you out there can figure this out.
I have a Radeon x1950 Pro graphics card with the latest legacy Catalyst driver for it and a computer with a fully updated version of Windows XP.
Three days ago, I turned on my computer to find that the screen resolution was set so low that it looked like an old EGA screen.
A window popped up stating that the Catalyst driver is not compatible with this version of Windows XP which is odd because I've been running this thing fine on XP for years. So windows had reverted to it's own "default driver" that doesn't go higher than like 300x600 resolution.
I uninstalled the drivers and the Catalyst software and installed a fresh copy. Everything worked fine... until, I set the screen to 1280x1024 which has always been the screen resolution I have always used. It will look and work fine, until I reboot the computer and the drivers will be gone, Windows will be back to 300x600 resolution again.

So I thought this might be a virus so I reformatted the hard drive, put Windows in, updated Windows so everything was current, put the Catalyst drivers in. Everything fine. Set the screen resolution to 1280x1024. It worked fine. Restarted the computer.... BAM.... back to 300x600 resolution and forced to uninstall and reinstall the Catalyst software again.

The only possibility I can think of is that maybe one of the new Windows updates is screwing with the Catalyst driver. Either that, or something is wrong with the graphics card. It works fine with all the resolutions up to 1260x1024. As soon as it hits that resolution and is rebooted, the drivers die.

In my device manager, my Radeon appears to be functioning properly.
Also, on a whim, I ran a full ScanDisk just in case and no errors were found.

I've scoured the internet for a solution and I've not found anyone with this problem so it's definitely a mystery. I pride myself on being able to solve computer issues, but this one is a new one for me.

Edited by Blacklight, 11 June 2011 - 02:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

Can anyone point me in a direction to check out that I haven't looked at yet ? I'm getting tired of having to re-install my graphics drivers every time I boot my computer ! This problem is driving me insane ! :killcomp:

#3 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

ATI has been no help whatsoever since they refuse to give me any tech support. I have also tried rolling back my drivers to older ones but I still get the same problem.

The exact error message I get when the computer boots and the drivers failed is: "The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adaptor. Please Update your ATI graphics driver or enable your ATI adaptor using the Display Manager"

It's almost like the drivers uninstall themselves on re-boot after I set them to a higher resolution.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

Seems that topic is discussed in their forums.

Are you installing the drivers by themselves, or the whole package with the Catalyst Control Center? Sometimes the driver install by itself will result in that message. Is the OS updated (all NET Framework updates)? One suggestion was going to device manager and manually updating the drivers for the video card.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English

Edited by dpunisher, 14 June 2011 - 04:36 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

I am using the whole package with the Catalyst Control Center. I've tried manually updating the drivers as well. I will reboot the system after the drivers and everything are installed and everything will be perfect. It's only after the next reboot that the drivers fail and I get that error message.

#6 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

Okay. This sums up the issue:
The process goes:
1. I start the computer and the drivers have failed and it's at 800 x 600 resolution. There will be an error message that says, "The Catalyst Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adaptor. Please Update your ATI graphics driver or enable your ATI adaptor using the Display Manager"
Display manager won't let me edit anything. All the configuring stuff will be greyed out.
2. I will uninstall the drivers
3. I re-install the drivers
4. I re-boot the pc and everything is perfect and functions exactly as it should.
5. When next I re-start the pc... *go back to 1.*

Here is my list of everything I've tried so far.

1. I tried the program PowerStrip. It did not help.
2. Uninstalled Catalyst Control Center making sure that everything including folders were removed and re-installed it and the drivers using the "full package" installer that ATI has.
Did not solve the problem
3. Installed the drivers manually
Did not solve the problem
4. Lowering hardware acceleration seemed to make it so I could boot a few times with no issue but then the problem came back.
5. Turning off the System Restore seemed to have the same effect as # 4.
6. I uninstalled the card and then installed the drivers that came with the card from the disk and had the problem come back.
7. Checked monitor cables and all are in tight.
8. Tested my graphics with DXdiag with no issues. The card performed perfectly.
9. On a whim, I ran a ScanDisk just to check to see if there might be some bad sectors on the hard drive where the drivers just happen to be falling into (It's happened to me before). ScanDisk encountered not a single error or issue.
10. I just now opened up the PC, took out the graphics card, cleaned the dust inside and on the card while I had the case open. I then re-seated the card and screwed the monitor cables in TIGHT.
After a few re-boots, the problem came back.

Edited by Blacklight, 15 June 2011 - 02:30 AM.

#7 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

Latest experiment = installing the drivers without installing the "Catalyst Control Center" and just using "Windows Display Manager" to configure everything. So far, it seems to have fixed it but it may still be too early to tell because trying some of those other things got me several good boots before the drivers failed again. If the problem arises again, my next step is going to be re-formatting the hard drive again, installing Windows from my Windows disk, but not updating it, and then putting the drivers in (with the theory that one of the Windows Updates may be futzing something up).

So far, so good. I'm cautiously optimistic that just not installing the "Catalyst Control Center" SEEMS to have solved the issue.

#8 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:38 PM

Problem is not solved. It's rebooted fine many times since I put just the drivers in, but this time, I recieved the error message:
"The currently selected graphics display driver can not be used. It was written for a previous version of Windows and is no longer compatible with this version of Windows.
The System has been started using the default VGA driver.
Please contact your hardware manufacturer to get an updated driver, or select one of the Microsoft provided drivers."

These drivers SHOULD be working. Something is crashing them.

#9 Blacklight

Blacklight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

Okay. I think I may have tracked down an issue. I'm looking at my Radeon X1950 Pro driver. It says that the driver version is: 8.593.100.0

On the driver download page,
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...3&lang=English

It says that the current driver version is 10.2.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the driver installed in my system does not appear to have 10.2 anywhere in it's number.
Maybe there's some kind of bug in the driver installation ?
Can someone check this for me ? I want to make sure that I have the proper driver in there and I've been unable to dig up that info online.

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

You just listed the 2D driver number/revision.

My driver Cat, 11.2 shows to be 8.01.01.1123. My best guess,in your case, the 100.0 would refer to driver 10.0 or there abouts. I don't think the number always matches up due to revisions in the 3D and OGL drivers. Any number of CAT driver revisions could use the same 2D driver.

Right click on your desktop, select CCC and hit the "Information" tab. It will give you all the info.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users