Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive - Not enough space?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Akiraton

Akiraton

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

I'm sorry for the weird title, I don't even know how to describe it in a few words!

My C hard drive, when I click on the 'Computer' folder, says 7.96 gb free of 102 gb . But when I click on the hard drive and highlight EVERYTHING, it only adds up to 80.2 gb.

Is there a way to fix this? I know it's a problem because the same thing happened to my USB. It is a 4gb, and when deleted everything, had about 2gb amount of free space. So I moved everything from my USB to my computer, then reformatted the USB and it went back to 4gb. I can't/don't want to format my hard drive because everything will be deleted and I don't have anything that can hold that huge amount of space.

HELP PLEASE! :]

Edited by Akiraton, 10 June 2011 - 08:31 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

Much of the unaccounted for space is probably taken up by your restore points (in a hidden folder named System Volume Information). Some would also be in your Temporary Internet Files. You can go to disc cleanup and delete all but the current restore point. You can also download and run treesize to see exactly how the space is being utilized: http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

#3 Akiraton

Akiraton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

Thank you so much!

I just finished running Treesize and it came up to ~ 86gb. However, it couldn't scan the 'System Volume Information' folder because 'Access is denied', so I'm assuming this folder is the problem child! I'm sorry for being such a computer noob, but how do you access this folder and delete all of the restore points [except for the current]? I'm the only user of this computer, therefore 'admin'...but I can't access it? :/
Posted Image

#4 Particalzman

Particalzman

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

I would say that you have some virus issues, you shouldn't be locked out of any files. They should be hidden, if you have never looked at them, but it just says click here to show hidden files. I would start by following the malware instructions found in here in bleepingcomputer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/

Edited by Particalzman, 11 June 2011 - 06:21 PM.

#5 Akiraton

Akiraton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

Thank you thank you!

I would have NEVER guessed on my own it would be the System Volume Information folder. I got it fixed ! :] ~15gb down to 7gb :]

Thank you thank you again!
Posted Image

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:11 AM

You're very welcome. In the future you can limit the space allotted to System Restore or you can stop using it all together and use disk imaging software on a regular basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users