Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Power during shutdown - now have issues


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 50BMG

50BMG

  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

Hello, I've received excellent help here previously, and need some assistance again please.

I have a Windows 2000 Pro system that I've been using for nearly 10 years. Up until 1 week ago, it was working normally.

Then, we had a thunderstorm and while trying to shut it down, the power went out.

Later, it seemed to restart normally but now appears to have a couple mysterious issues.

1) I first noticed that I cannot load a website I had been visiting quite often with Firefox. The site is WWW.BEA.AERO. I tried again with Internet Explorer... same thing. [Both browsers time out or take exceptionally long to display the page after getting it from the server] My first thought was that the site changed some code, and made the page corrupt. So I tried it on another PC, also running Windows 2000 Pro and the same version of Firefox... it loaded and displayed fine.

Other websites appear to load fine, and I've not found any others that do not.

2) In an attempt to perform the usual corrupted system disk checks, which I often do after unexpected shutdowns... I discovered that the "Disk Cleanup" option [under Disk Properties] hangs calculating the amount of space that would be saved by compressing files. It never did this before.
The cleanup had to be canceled.


What I've done since to try to find or correct the problem:

  • Forced CHKDSK to run on the next reboot.
  • This yeilded two "lost" [or maybe it said "unattached"?] jet database temporary files. [name was something like JET5E9A.TMP]
  • After reboot, the file was located in C:\WINNT\Temp\ along with others which were dated considerably older.
  • To get the Disk Cleanup to run, I temporarily removed the registry key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files"
  • I then noticed the disk was approaching full and cleared it of saved data until it was about 20% free
  • Then ran a DEFRAG, which took a little longer than usual, but completed normally.
  • Re-testing showed the problem still present.
  • Next, I decided to remove and re-install the Java Runtime Engine, as it was common to both I.E. and Firefox. No effect.
  • Ran a system scan with SpyBot S&D - nothing found.

The problem persists.

I was thinking of removing and re-installing TCP/IP on the ethernet adapter, but decided to check with you guys before going any further instead.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 50BMG

50BMG
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

Sorry about this, but I seem to have solved my own problem, at least the important part of it.

Procedure as follows:

  • Open "Network and Dialup Connections"
  • Right click on "Local Area Connection", my LAN adapter used to connect to the internet
  • Select "Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]" from the list
  • Click "Uninstall"
  • After a few moments a prompt to restart the machine comes up
  • Restart.
After Restart...

  • Re-open "Network and Dialup Connections"
  • Click on "Install"
  • Select "Protocol", then "Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]"
  • Click on "OK"

After install completes, problem with Firefox is gone. However, the "Disk Cleanup" issue remains.

It would be nice to fix this, but it's not as troublesome as the TCP/IP issue.

Comments welcome.

#3 50BMG

50BMG
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

Errata to previous post... should have read:


After Restart...

  • Re-open "Network and Dialup Connections"
  • Right click on "Local Area Connection", my LAN adapter used to connect to the internet
  • Click on "Install"
  • Select "Protocol", then "Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]"
  • Click on "OK"


"Disk Cleanup" issue remains.

Thank You.

Edited by 50BMG, 12 June 2011 - 03:16 PM.


#4 50BMG

50BMG
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 19 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

Still hoping for some insight on the "Disk Cleanup" hang [not really... it just sits and takes up CPU time, never completing] issue.

As previously reported, [Item 2) in my first post] this came about from a power loss during a system shutdown.

Removing the above registry entry does indeed offer a "Work Around", but not a cure.

Thank you again.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users