Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Not Starting Up

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 seazzie

seazzie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hi All,

I have used this site many times before and it has been wonderful, so I am hoping you can help me out on this computer I have with me. I do not know much about this computer but the fact it has been beaten up lots by the kids, you know sat on, punched, keys taken off and odd websites they go on.

Any way to my problem, they were loading up the computer and it had frozen at windows start up, so I switched off tried the starting up using safe mode, managed to get onto safe mode and then it froze, so I then tried repair my computer and it failed. So now I'm stuck.

I have manged to work out its Windows 7.. hurray for me.

Please help, the kids are driving me nuts!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

If it froze in safe mode that's not a good sign. Let's try some basic troubleshooting first (memory and hd):

1)To check the ram, download memtest (http://www.memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

2) Right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type:chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#3 seazzie

seazzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

Hi,

Thanks for getting back so quickly, would it work using a flash drive as well??

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

Only if you can boot to the flash drive.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

I haven't read through this and I'm getting ready to log off - but you can take a look: http://nerdboys.com/2009/10/17/how-to-run-memtest86-on-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive/

#6 seazzie

seazzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

Sorry I am having real trouble with this, I cant load onto a CD and it wont load with a USB does anyone know the command pompt for a USB Stick no idea what to do.

#7 seazzie

seazzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

Also it wont let me reorder the bios keeps saying its not available

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:04 AM

Why can't you use a cd?

#9 seazzie

seazzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

Im using a Netbook and the computer that has the problem is a full laptop, Which i cant even get onto a log on screen. Unfortunately I havent set up my netbook to cope with CD's yet.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

May I suggest you create the cd on someone else's computer? It will make life a lot easier for you.

#11 seazzie

seazzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

Do i do a normal reboot, and if so, that doesnt work it still freezes at starting windows... Or do i do it in safe mode with or with out the disk in first..

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

I don't understand the question. Did you burn the cd? If so, did you change the bios boot order? If so, did you boot to the cd and run memtest?

#13 seazzie

seazzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

ok how do i change the bios

Oh and the CD has been burnt

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

When the system first boots watch the screen for a message saying: Press ???? to enter setup (or bios) - press whatever key is listed. Then find the boot order and move the optical drive to the first device in that order. Save and exit.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

#15 seazzie

seazzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

Yay!! I am now winning it is now checking the disk, thank you for being patient with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users