Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

screen resolution went down on its own

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bruceb3

bruceb3

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

When I turned on my computer, the icons were all enlarged and when I checked the resolution, it had gone down to 1280 x 720. I usually have it at 1440 x 900. When I right click on the desktop and check the res, The maximum it will let me set is 1280 x 720. I updated the driver on my GeForce 9800 GT and still can't raise it. The computer and all its parts are only 1 1/2 yrs old. Could the card be bad? Any help would be appreciated.

Asus P6T, i7-920 @ 2.67, 6 gb ddr3, Win 7 pro
Windows 7 Pro, i7- 920, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 6 Gb DDR3, 120 gb Agility 3 SSD, 500 Gb WD drive, OCZ Mod X Stream- Pro 700 watt psu, Corsair H50 cooler with 2 Silenx low rpm fans, 9800 GT video card, 2- 140mm case fans

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bruceb3

bruceb3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

Oh, and I restored to a Ghost image from December to see if that would do anything. No change, which kinda leads me to believe it's a hardware thing.
Windows 7 Pro, i7- 920, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 6 Gb DDR3, 120 gb Agility 3 SSD, 500 Gb WD drive, OCZ Mod X Stream- Pro 700 watt psu, Corsair H50 cooler with 2 Silenx low rpm fans, 9800 GT video card, 2- 140mm case fans

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

Where are you making the adjustments of the screen resolution, is it the nvidia control panel or through the desktop properties settings?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 bruceb3

bruceb3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

In the desktop properties. I can't seem to be able to find the NVidia control panel.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for your reply. :thumbup2:

If you navigate to the Windows 'control panel' and have the control panel set to show all the icons contained in it (in other words, when you open control panel in Windows 7, you will see a drop down menu to the right hand side of the window, this menu has three choices to choose from, by category, small icons or large icons, choose either large or small icons, now you should see a Nvidia control panel icon listed alphabetically in the list of shortcuts that are now visible) Please double click this Nvidia icon, once the Nvidia control panel appears, there should be options listed in the control panel's menu for adjusting the various screen settings.

Look for screen resolution, try making the adjustments here to the one your interested in setting it to.

If you still can not go to the higher settings, please be advised, Windows 7 has a setting that prevents screen resolutions that your monitor does not support from being available in the slider bar for screen resolutions.

To change this, right click your desktop, choose screen resolution, look for ADVANCED SETTINGS, click ADVANCE SETTINGS, look for the MONITOR tab, click MONITOR tab, look for a check mark in a box where it states Hide modes this monitor can not display Once that check mark is removed, your slider bar should now show more screen resolutions.

If you are lost as to where that check mark is located, I will be happy to post a screen shot of its location.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 June 2011 - 10:51 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 bruceb3

bruceb3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

I went out and got a new HD 6670 card and tried to install it. The computer booted up but the monitor said "no signal". I reinstalled my old 9800 GT and it worked. The tech guy on the phone from Micro Center where I got the card said maybe the card was too much for my power supply. I don't think so. I unplugged all my case fans except 1 on my H50 cooler and only have 1 hard drive plugged in. My OCZ 700 psu should be able to easily handle this setup and I checked the voltages with a psu tester. They were fine, It's not like the HD 6670 is a high end power hungry card. It doesn't have an extra power plug. That was my first thought. If it wasn't 30 miles 1 way I would have returned the card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users