Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recovery from oem disk

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

Ive got an old dell 1100 inspiron that i need to do a recovery on. It has the product key sticker but there is no recovery partition i have the OS disk, but driver disks are long gone.
I was curious if there was a way to pull the drivers i need form the current install( it still runs ok it just buggy and want to start new).

Obviously i can pull what i need from the dell site, but was curious for this and other systems i might need to do this to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:05 PM

i know i do not need the drivers to install windows, i was wondering if there was a way to consolidate the drivers that i will need from the current install and then just burn them to disk so i have them when i need them.

Edited by BNDAZ, 10 June 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_1100&os=WW1&osl=en&servicetag=&catid=-1&impid=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1

#4 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

I ap[appreciate the responses but what i am asking...is there a way to pull the drivers i need from the current installation.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

You can, with Driver Magician (http://www.drivermagician.com/). But you are much better off getting the drivers you need from the Dell support center (just enter your service tag number)

#6 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

Ok, thanks.
that makes sense, there is always a chnace the drivers on the current machine are bunged a bit i would suppose, better to start new all the way around on second thought.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

Not only that, but the site will have the most current drivers. BTW, be sure to install the chipset driver first, then the others.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_1100&os=WW1&osl=en&servicetag=&catid=-1&impid=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1

All Inspiron 1100 (64 files)

>>>there is always a chance the drivers on the current machine are bunged a bit...<<<

:thumbup2: :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 10 June 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#9 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

hmm, interesting dilemma.
I am entering the product key directly form the sticker on the back and the system is telling me the product key is not valid, i cant get by that spot, if i click ok it just takes me back to the product key entry field, ive double checked it several times, the product key is correct for the machine.
Could the disk im using have something to do with it?

Edited by BNDAZ, 10 June 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:21 PM

Product key???? :blink: Are you entering the 25 digit alpha-numeric #(XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX)

You need to enter your service tag #, not your product key.

Find your service tag: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/identifyyoursystem?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~mode=popup#FindyourServiceTag

Your Service Tag is a unique five- to seven- digit alphanumeric (letter and number) code, which is found on a white bar-coded label affixed to your Dell computer or peripheral.

Posted Image

The link I previously provided should take you DIRECTLY to the driver d/l page for All Inspiron 1100 XP drivers.

Edited by Union_Thug, 10 June 2011 - 08:12 PM.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

"I ap[appreciate the responses but what i am asking...is there a way to pull the drivers i need from the current installation."

Not a good way. Reinstall them all clean!
Dell.com

"i have the OS disk"
Is this the one that came with the system?

Is the system XP home or pro?
The sticker that Union Thug directed you to will tell you that.

You really need to define what you mean by "recovery"
Do you mean that you want to reinstall everything?
Or do you mean that Windows wont load and you are trying to fix it.

Edited by Eyesee, 10 June 2011 - 10:18 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:39 AM

Product key???? :blink: Are you entering the 25 digit alpha-numeric #(XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX)

You need to enter your service tag #, not your product key.

Find your service tag: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/identifyyoursystem?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~mode=popup#FindyourServiceTag

Your Service Tag is a unique five- to seven- digit alphanumeric (letter and number) code, which is found on a white bar-coded label affixed to your Dell computer or peripheral.

The link I previously provided should take you DIRECTLY to the driver d/l page for All Inspiron 1100 XP drivers.

Sorry, i got to the driver page, i didnt clarify, i started the install of windows , the invalid product key error is coming from the windows install.
It a secondary issue that has appeared.

Edited by BNDAZ, 11 June 2011 - 01:39 AM.

#13 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:30 AM

"I ap[appreciate the responses but what i am asking...is there a way to pull the drivers i need from the current installation."

Not a good way. Reinstall them all clean!
Dell.com
OK

"i have the OS disk"
Is this the one that came with the system?
No, i have an XP home disk but it is a retail version, i also have a DELL xp home disk form another system.

Is the system XP home or pro?
The sticker that Union Thug directed you to will tell you that.
Home

You really need to define what you mean by "recovery"
Do you mean that you want to reinstall everything?
Or do you mean that Windows wont load and you are trying to fix it.

Complete reinstall

Edited by BNDAZ, 11 June 2011 - 05:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users