Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

National instituite of standards an technology UDP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aromack

aromack

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

For the last couple days my peerblock program has been blocking communication from my system to National Institute of Standards and Technology. It appears that something I have on my system is scanning all my UDP ports and trying to communicate with NIST. Anyone know a way for me to locate and isolate the program that is doing this?

Edited by aromack, 10 June 2011 - 02:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

NIST is one of the clock syncronization options for the system. Perhaps your system clock is off, CMOS battery is low...and so on.

Louis

#3 aromack

aromack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

Normally that is true and I could see my system trying to communicate with NIST is it where set to synchronize with NIST. However it is not set to synchronize with NIST it is set to sync with time.windows.com

Also this just started happening with in the last week. I also checked the time on my system and it is in sync with current pacific standard time.

So anyone have any idea how to locate the program that is scanning my UDP ports an trying to communicate with NIST?
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Attached is a picture of the scans. Attached File  Nist.jpg   42.73KB   4 downloads

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

Go to msconfig/startup and see if their is another program running that might be trying to sync time. As hamluis has stated it could be a weak CMOS battery. A low battery will louse the correct time and then sync will put it back in time and then it will loose time and sync will put it back in time, over and over. If it was my computer I would just stick a new battery in it. It could save a lot of hunting for a fix. If it doesn't help well you got a new battery and spent very little money and come back here for more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users