Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor not waking up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MMMM2424

MMMM2424

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire desktop x3900, it came with an Acer monitor x223HQ. All has been well since i bought them a year ago. I have the monitor set to turn off after 20 mins and the desktop to go into stand by after 1 hour.Only recently, i find sometimes the monitor will not wake up when i move the mouse. The pc is active, its blue neon light is flickering ( when its in standby it flashes on and off )
The only way I can get the monitor to respond is to power the p-c off, using the power button. Ithen get the message that windows shut down incorrectly etc
I am thinking of setting the monitor and pc never to sleep/standby. Can anyone offer any advice. Many thanks
The pc is windows 7 home premium, 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

When the computer was sleeping did you try anything else? Such as pressing keys on the keyboard, clicking the mouse (instead of just moving), or turning the monitor off and back on? Here is an excerpt from Microsoft regarding power states in Windows 7, and the link provides instructions for changing your power settings as well.

On most computers, you can resume working by pressing your computer's power button. However, not all computers are the same. You might be able to wake your computer by pressing any key on the keyboard, clicking a mouse button, or opening the lid on a laptop. Check the documentation that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.

Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 MMMM2424

MMMM2424
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

Hi Whoabuddy, yes I pressed many keys on the keyboard,I moved/clicked the mouse, also i switched the monitor off/on, it just said no signal. The computer is awake,its just not waking the monitor. Thanks for your interest

Edited by MMMM2424, 10 June 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#4 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 12:18 AM

I figured you had covered that already, but just wanted to be sure, I've had a few systems that only responded to a mouse click or keyboard press rather than just moving the mouse. Did you end up changing the settings so that it no longer goes to sleep/standby? Are you connected via VGA, DVI, or HDMI? Have you tried removing the cable and re-seating it when the computer is running again?
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users