Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ESET NOD32 & SAS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snipersgethead

snipersgethead

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

I was just wondering, should I leave the real time protection options on for both programs or just one? And if the latter, which one do I leave on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

Shouldn't be any problems running both with real-time protection enabled.

Superantispyware is designed to complement your AV.

Edited by RedDawn, 10 June 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:54 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware Free does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup. I recommend to disable startup and use it as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. A purchased upgrade to the "Professional" version is required before those options can be activated. If that is what you are using, then as RedDawn says, there should not be any conflicts.

However, IMO if you want real-time protection to supplement your anti-virus, I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) which includes a Protection Module in the full version that uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as the program utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes' and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread. I know and have worked with some members of the research team so I can attest that they make every effort to resolve issues as quickly as possible.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the replies, I got MBAM pro and turned on the protection module like advised. I think though, one of the programs interfered with NOD32, whether it be SAS or MBAM. Basically a .dat file got deleted, I believe from NOD32, and caused the program to be unresponsive. I don't know which program caused it as I turned off pop-up warnings. So I thought restarting would fix it and everytime I tried to boot it would result in a BSOD due to files I recall called netio.sys, usbstor.sys, and others. All signs pointed that multiple AVs were attempting to access it simultaneously. Hell at one point I couldn't even boot in safe mode for awhile until by luck. So I had to disable them using services.msc, which allowed me to boot normally, but yet it didn't web disable properly. The startup screen for ESET still showed up and stayed there, SAS still booted, and MBAM would give an error when trying to run. So which one should I uninstall?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

You may want to report this issue to the Malwarebytes Support Team, ask in the Support Forums or E-mail the Malwarebytes Support Help Desk so the development team can investigate.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users