Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard/mouse Problems After Power Supply Replaced

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Creator55

Creator55

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:07 PM

I have replaced a power supply in a Compaq computer running Windows XP. The power supply had failed and the fan was not working. It would not boot. When I replaced it, it booted fine into the accounts that were already set up (naturally there is no password on the limited account). Unfortunately, since I cannot get into an administrator account because of the keyboard failure(cannot type the password), I cannot make any substantial system changes. When I use the keyboard, it simply does not respond (I tried three including a wireless) and the mouse freezes once I type anything into the keyboard. I do not see a keyboard listed in System Utilities. I do see a mouse (and in fact can use it for a time). On boot, there is a message relating a keyboard and mouse error but it goes by so fast, I am unable to read it. If I press the keyboard to get into setup, or safe mode, the screen says "setup" in the lower right corner, but the screen remains black and does not actually get into setup. It will not boot into safe mode. I put an XP disk in to try to repair or reinstall drivers if that is a problem but when the screen says "push any key to boot from CD", my keyboard does not work. The CD rom disks work, and the light appears on drive A, so I am thinking that I did not hook anything up wrong, but I could have?. Is this a motherboard problem or corrupted drivers or what else? I first need to bypass passwords using the mouse. Is this possible. Then maybe I can install drivers from drive A if they are selfexecutable. Any ideas? Help please if you can. Thank you.
Pat :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:42 PM

You may have fried the PS/2 port for your keyboard. Try plugging in a USB keyboard or if it is a USB keyboard try plugging a PS/2 keyboard in.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

I know it sound simple but could you have you keyboard mouse plugged in backwards?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Creator55

Creator55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 05:29 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I have not plugged the keyboard in wrong. I have tried a USB port and used an adapter that plugs the keyboard and mouse into one USB port. As I said I also used a wireless keyboard and mouse, all with the same results. Anything else?

If I took the hard drive out and put it into another working computer as a secondary drive, what files would I replace or copy over (such as drivers) into the system folder to possibly repair it in this manner if it is corrupted driver files? If it is corrupted bios or some other such problem, then how might I fix it? I'm just not sure where the problem lies. The speakers work and I would think since it's integrated into the same "section" that the keyboard and mouse plug into, they would not work if it were a "fried" problem. Thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users