Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding VOIP internet phone to home system

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hi. I recently unbundled my home phone service, to cut our family budget. I purchased a Ooma brand VOIP device for the home (same technology as Vonage) from Costco, also to cut costs. It was working great -- cheap as heck, reliable, and as advertised -- until our Verizon phone service stopped. Verizon, by law, has supplied a "dry loop" to our home, and we are attempting to do business with a company called DSL EXTREME. The DSL EXTREME works fine until I add the Ooma device into the loop, at which point I cannot get anything to work, and the LAN light won't even light up on the modem, meaning the computer does not see the Verizon dry loop.

Does anyone know any tricks to this setup, or how to troubleshoot it? The DSL EXTREME phone support is less than great.

Also, if anyone has another recommendation on cheap residential DSL service, I would love it. I am not crazy so far about DSL EXTREME and may be making a change.

Thank You!
EducatedGuess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users