Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Laptop recently slowed to less than a crawl

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 duxdad

duxdad

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

ABout twoo weeks ago my daughter told me her notebook slowed down so as to be unusable. I started looking at it last night and it is unusably slow. Suspecting malware I ran Malwarebytes twice and it found nothing. I also ran the Kapersky rootkit remover and it found nothing.I had Microsoft Security essentials installed and am trying to run a full scan. After running an hour it has only scanned 284 objects. There were no retsore points to go back to. I am at a loss!! Any ideas??
Thanks

HP DV6000 Notebook
Vista Ultimate 64 bit
2 GB memory

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

You can try chkdsk;

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

Do a disk cleanup:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

#3 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:37 AM

Click Start.

In the search bar type msconfig and hit Enter.

Click the Startup tab.

Take a screenshot(s) showing all items listed and attach the image(s) in your next post.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Edited by TheShooter93, 13 June 2011 - 10:38 AM.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#4 duxdad

duxdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. I did do a clean boot vias msconfig to no ab=vail.
Finally I upgraded to Windows 7 home premium as I has a coupld of family pack licenses. Working great now.
This cam be closed
Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users