Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC randomly resets, won't reboot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mickberna

mickberna

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hey all, first post here, but thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I have a PC built essentially from spare parts that treated me well for a while, but is currently is giving me an issue. It will randomly reset during use, and then will not boot. After a while (let's say a couple hours) it will boot, run checkdisk, then to Windows as normal. Of course, this only lasts about 20 minutes or so before it restarts again.

So the question is, which part is most likely to be the culprit? It's a fresh XP install, so no malware. CPU and heatsink are fine with good thermal compound applied, and the fan is working fine. The power supply fan is working. The motherboard is old but not ancient, and never gave me problems before.

My guess is the psu is starting to die, but I'm just looking for opinions before I go buy a replacement. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

Boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

The fact that autocheck runs on restart would seem to indicate there may abe a dirty bit - let's make sure it isn't something as simple as that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users