Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Hard Drive(?) Making a Ticking Noise...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:36 AM

Earlier my computer was freezing up and going crazy. The HDD was scanning super hard and it was locked up for a minute or so. I tried to wait for a little break and then I hit the power supply and tried to go for a reset. Ever since then the computer(I'm assuming the HDD) has been making a ticking noise. When it does it causes the computer to freeze up for a few seconds(even on low power stuff like facebook) then goes back to normal. I ran the error checking thing and nothing came up. I let it do a disk defrag, but I stopped that about an hour in because it was still making the noise.

Anyone have any idea what the deal is and any possible fixes? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:38 AM

Your hard drive is failing, please immediately backup of your data.

Edited by killerx525, 10 June 2011 - 06:38 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:57 AM

Agreed. If a hd makes a ticking sound it is almost certainly about to go belly up. If you, create an image of your drive (using disk imaging software) and save it to a second drive - then replace the ticking drive with a new one. Then you can restore the image and be right back where you are now - but with a good drive.

#4 HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thanks guys, how do I know which kind of HDD I can get though. I went into properties on the C drive and it said I have a Samsung SD321KJ SCI Disk Drive. Also is any disk imaging software freeware? Any idea how long it has?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

You just need to know whether the drive has a sata or ide connection.. Other than that, get any drive you like. And yes, you can try Macrium Reflect.

#6 HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:32 PM

Okay I ran that Everest program on my PC and on the report it seems like I have an IDE HDD. I just wanna confirm. This is from the section

Storage:
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD321KJ SCSI Disk Device (298 GB)
Optical Drive Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5170S SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

Take a look at the drive and see what the cable looks like (http://www.computer-hardware-explained.com/sata-vs-ide.html).

#8 HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

Okay, I popped the case open and it seems to be an SATA. I took some pics to confirm:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/haterslayer1/0610190307.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/haterslayer1/0610190016.jpg

The blue cable goes to the HDD. I also did a search of the PC model on google and came up with this which seems to say it's SATA also. So good to go on SATA shopping right?

#9 HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

Oh and another question, all the guides I see on youtube deal with external drives. Would it be possible to clone it to an internal drive? I plan on using the internal one as the new HDD after all.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

A good replacement hard drive would be this. And for the cloning, i am not entirely sure about it, you should wait for Allan to reply about it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

You can choose ANY sata drive you like - any size, any price.

You need to back it up to a different drive - it doesn't matter if that's an internal or external drive, but it cannot be the same one you are replacing. After you install the new drive you then boot to the recovery disc you create with Macrium and point it to the backup and allow it to restore. Alternatively, you can create the backup on cd's / dvd's, but that makes the process just a little more cumbersome.

Edited by Allan, 11 June 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

Some brands like Hitachi is just crap :thumbup2:

>Michael 

#13 HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:43 PM

You need to back it up to a different drive - it doesn't matter if that's an internal or external drive, but it cannot be the same one you are replacing. After you install the new drive you then boot to the recovery disc you create with Macrium and point it to the backup and allow it to restore. Alternatively, you can create the backup on cd's / dvd's, but that makes the process just a little more cumbersome.

Will they send me a cable(like USB or something) I can use to back up everything on the new HDD? Preciate your patience with all my questions btw.

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:55 PM

Check out your CDROM/DVD Connections?

If they are also SATA you can use the Cables from them

BTW there is a way to use the HDD as you want that will work, but it entails Partitioning the Drive to create two distinct Drives, C: and D:, once done they have the properies of completely seperate HDDs and could be Very useful in time to come.

I am happy to Help you through with it, if you want?

Ray

Edited by Drovers Dog, 12 June 2011 - 12:03 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#15 HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

The HDD that I have now, which is failing, is already partitioned(D drive is for recovery IIRC). Would that cause a problem? Also, how complicated is that to do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users