Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UPS clicks, server hibernates?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:22 AM

Okay, I'm totally baffled by this one. Here's the full story:

I have two computers in my house (plus laptops). One is my personal computer (let's call it Desktop) and the other is a server (let's call it Server).

Both are plugged into separate UPS's (in different rooms): APC BE650G 650 VA 390 Watts UPS

When I came home today, my server was on, desktop was in sleep mode. Everything was normal.

A few hours later, I notice my server is not on. So, naturally I turn it back on to see what's going on. It resumes from hibernation (which it should only go into if the battery backup drops to 10%). Odd...especially since the power didn't go out and the cord was not unplugged (and trust me, I would have known if either had happened...the beeping is incredibly obnoxious). Also, the battery showed as fully charged.

I just brushed it aside as an anomaly (which I probably shouldn't have).

A couple hours later, it happened again! But I was in the middle of tweaking a php file and didn't take the time to look into it. No blinking lights, no loud noises, nothing. It just hibernated for no apparent reason. I just turned it back on and went back to what I was doing.

A few minutes ago, sitting at my desktop, I heard a single distinct "click" noise come from the UPS under my desk. Nothing else appeared to happen...until I noticed the server was off again.

At this point, I'm like: "Something is up, this shouldn't be happening". I checked the event viewer on the server and found this:

Posted Image

So, my question is, why does it keep hibernating as if the battery is depleted when it's not? And what is the connection between the click on my desktop's UPS and the server (which is on a different UPS) hibernating? Is it a power surge or something?

I can provide more info if needed.

Thanks,
-kN
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:56 AM

Try another UPS, this one is maybe dying.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:04 AM

But it's brand new??

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:39 AM

Didn't you get it earlier this year?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

4/15/2011

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:43 AM

I would say something is stuffy in the UPS itself.

>Michael 

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:44 AM

That still doesn't explain the "click" on my UPS and the other causing the server to hibernate. My desktop stayed on the whole time.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

Well...if one works properly...and the other seems to be associated with problems...I would switch the two UPS devices for clarification/refutation of the premise that one is malfunctioning...for whatever reason.

If switch provides same response on same system...the should clarify location of problem.

Louis

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

That sounds like a good idea...but it might take a couple hours to get all the cords sorted out again. :crazy:

It hasn't happened again since the last time, but if it does it again, I will definitely switch them to help narrow down where this is originating from (the computer or the UPS).

Thanks, Louis. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users