Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

Hey I have an old computer that nobody uses. An old P2 233 with 128 ram. I was wondering what is the easiest versioin of linux that I can use on it that would work. I really just want to see how it works and see what the hell Linux actually is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

You wont believe the varity that question will get. I'll be happy to start. I recommend Puppy Linux. The fastest way would be to boot from the CD into a 256 RAMdrive and store on the Hard drive. You have three ways to use it.

1) Run from the CD into a RAM drive (The whole OS will run in RAM) . When you tirn off the computer either use a burned to save work to the same CD or loose all your work. You will need 256mb of RAM min. It is very fast this way.

2) Same as 1 but you save your work to the hard drive and you still boot from the CD. You will need 128mb of RAM. Still fast but nt quite because data will be read and written to the hard drive.

3) You can setup to install and run from the hard drive. It reportedly will run with as little as 32mb of RAM. It will be as responsive as windows '95.

You will have full internet either LAN or dialup. I use it on LAN static IP with a cable modem. You can install countless programs like Open Office.
It has the feel of windows '95. It has multiple freewares built in. The best of all it all fits on a 40 mb ( that is mega) file. It need a FAT32 partition to live in. You can install in inside of say windows 98 or ME. That way if you don't like it you still have '9x to fall back on. But don't worry you are going to love the Puppy.
Please try it and tell me what you think.

Here is a member who tried it... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/39575/puppy-linux-v107-released/
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Penguin101

Penguin101

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

Hey I have an old computer that nobody uses. An old P2 233 with 128 ram. I was wondering what is the easiest versioin of linux that I can use on it that would work. I really just want to see how it works and see what the hell Linux actually is.

As mentioned above, Puppy Linux is ok, as are BeatriX, STX, Damn Small Linux, Mepis Lite, and a hundred others.

One of the BEST ways to pick out distributions you might want to try is to visit
www.linux.org, and look through the list of distributions they show. You can even
have them list in several different ways (Mainstream, Minimalist, Security, By Language,
Live CD types, etc. etc.)

If you just leave it at default settings and take a look at ALL the distros, they offer
descriptions with each one, along with links to their websites where you can read
about them in detail, and links to download sites and mirrors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users