Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless card not recognizing any signals

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ttownfeen

ttownfeen

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 equipped with a Dell TrueMobile 1150 plug in wireless adapter. I am running Windows XP SP3. The wireless router is a Netgear Wireless G 54 Mbps router. The laptop. Is about 15 feet away from the router.

The problem is the adapter is not finding any wireless signals. I've tried reinstalling the adapter driver and using the repair function of Windows but neither works.

I would appreciate any help you give me? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ttownfeen

ttownfeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

We have DSL.

#3 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:31 AM

Make sure that you set up the adaptor correctly so that the WPA or WPA2 key is the same as that of your ADSL modem.
I suggest that you access your ADSL modem via a LAN (Hardwired) cable, and set up the kay on your Wireless setup section (Also change the SSID of your modem to a name other than the default one.), make a note of the key, then use the Windows connection manager to set up your connection.

Is your wireless adaptor switched on (check for a lit indicator on the laptop net to a wireless symbol - I am not familiar with Dell products, so I cannot pinpoint where this could be situated) Normally you would need to push and hold the Fn key and then the appropriate function key that is marked with wireless symbol to enable the adaptor. On older machines there would be a switch that you could use to enable the wireless adaptor.

Best Regards, and good luck,
Kevin

Edited by Kevin384, 13 June 2011 - 05:54 AM.

#4 ttownfeen

ttownfeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

There are two indicator LEDs on the adapter - one for status and the other for activity. Both indicators are blink briefly for 10 seconds. This is what the Dell website says.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/tmpccon/en/troub.htm

Both LEDs blink once every 10 seconds

The PC Card works fine, but did not yet succeed establishing a wireless connection with the wireless Infrastructure.

Actions:Check Network Name and Encryption Key

When I open the adapter software, the status is:

Searching for network: Agere systems
Channel: 10
Encryption: off

When I go the diagnose window, the test results all come up okay.

The only problem is that the adapter is not detecting any wireless networks.

#5 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:08 AM

Hi,

Is the "WLAN" light lit on your router?

Can you access your router with a LAN (hardwired) cable? If so, disable your wireless link for the time being, and access via the LAN. Check with the router manufacture's documentation on how to access the wireless router via a web interface.

I will research the router in the meantime.

Is the router a Netgear WGR 614vX? This is the only G54 router that I was able to find on the Netgear website (you will find the model number (e.g. WGR614) and the firmware version (vX) on the label on the underside of the unit.

Did you receive a CD/DVD with the unit?

Kevin

Edited by Kevin384, 14 June 2011 - 01:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users