Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DOCSIS 3.0 CATV Modem?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SunKing

SunKing

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:20 PM

OK going back to using CATV and firing my local landline DSL provider in favor of 50 mb/s internet, phone, and CATV service package.

I am getting an Arris TG852 Gateway Modem DOCSIS 3.0 MODEM, plug my computer via Ethernet cable, standard RJ-11 phone jack, and use the Modem's WiFi for Sony Plastaion 3, Laptops, and Kindle

My question is about the Gateway Firewall and conflict it may or may not have on my Windows 7 Operating system and Kapesky Labs Firewall and AV on the wired PC.

Do I turn off any of those programs working behind the Gateway Router?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:44 AM

No. Hardware firewalls (ex: routers, modems, etc) do not "interfere" with your PC's the same way that 2 "software" firewalls do. I would personally recommend keeping both enabled.

Only problem you might have is if you're using P2P or something else that requires specific port access, you may need to allow it in both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users