Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clarification re: HP laptop battery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ricciolo

ricciolo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hi, all,

I have a HP Pavilion dv3 running 64-bit Windows Vista, Service Pack 2. I've had it for about two years now, and a couple of days ago, the battery stopped charging. When I highlight the battery icon in the system tray, I get the following message: "24% available (plugged in, not charging)." When I ran the HP battery check, it said that no batteries were installed, i.e., "The Primary battery was not detected." I'm not sure why the battery wasn't detected? Is this because:
(i) my battery is dead and I need to get a new one, or
(ii) there's some other problem with my laptop? If this is the case, how can I pinpoint what the actual issue is?

I'm guessing that the problem is (i), but I just wanted to be sure before I went off to buy a new battery...

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

What happens when you unplug the AC adapter... does the computer die immediately? I would try a separate adapter you may have to visit a retail store and try one of the demo computers AC adapters or find a repair shop that would let you borrow theirs for a minute - I have come across dell laptops that are very picky about what AC adapters work. If your computer dies immediately when unplugging it is not the battery. If it charges but only to 24 percent then its probably the battery.

#3 ricciolo

ricciolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

When I unplug the AC adapter, the computer dies immediately. I'm not sure that the adapter is the problem - I'm more concerned about the fact that according to the HP Battery Check, there's no battery installed (when there is one). Would that happen if there was a problem w/ the adapter...? (I guess that's a possibility since to do a battery check, the adapter needs to be connected to the computer and plugged into an outlet.) Do retail stores like Best Buy have AC adapters w/ their computers? I've never noticed... but I can try it out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users