Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Working Offline Popups

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Left the USA

Left the USA

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

Hi, I am new to the forum. I live in Germany and have problems with my laptop. I cannot seem to get rid of the 'working offline' popups. I have gone through the instructions on regedit, to no avail. Also, my laptop takes forever to load and works very slowly. Any suggestions would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 07 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

There is every likelyhood you have spyware/adware on your hard drive. These will cause those popups as well as make your computer sluggish.
The first step towards correcting the problem is to download, install, and update both Ad-AwareSE as well as Spybot Search and Destroy, both free applications designed to find and eliminate this kind of malware.
For a more thorough discussion, and links to these two applications, you may read the following Tutorial with profit:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-spyware-browser-hijackers-and-dialers/

Post back if you still have problems after using these, and we can take further action.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Left the USA

Left the USA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

Thanks <john for the info. Maybe I misunderstood, but the spybot and AD Aware SE want me to register and pay for their programs. So which one do you suggest that I purchase. I already have registry mechanic and it doesn't help me, at all. Also, my laptop will not allow me to use defrag. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:13 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, Left the USA.

You don't have to register, or pay, to download these programs.
Did you click the link John provided?
Did you try to download Ad-Aware, and Spybot, from the links provided in the article?
If you were required to pay, you were at a bogus site.
Neither of these programs cost anything.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:10 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! Left the USA.

Good Luck,
yano :flowers: